Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Who Uses Skype?

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by 2wheelsagain, Jul 5, 2007.

1. Anyone here use Skype? If so is it any good and are there things I need to be aware of.
    I'm on 512/128 ADSL is that enough? My calls would be Skype/Skype.
    What charges are involved? What limits are imposed if any?
    I know this info is most likely on the Skype site but I'm asking from a users perspective.

Thanks in advance,
    Chris.

2. Skype to skype is free.

With your line speed you should get a good connection I used before to call skype to landlines. At the time I had 256/128 Adsl connection.

Will

3. Yep thats definately fast enough, assuming you're not downloading full speed whilst using it. Skype/Skype is free.

I only used it once, but used ventrilo (similar) and teamspeak and other such things. If people poked me enough I could put up a netrider server for ventrilo :)

4. yep :wink:

It is, as long as you don't surf at the same time. That speed is good enough for video too. Keep in mind that there is 512/128 ADSL and there is 512/128 ADSL :shock: Sometimes, slow pings from wireless connections etc, can causes delays. That is, you run at 512/128 ADSL speed, but sometimes you stop on your track for a second,waiting for the ping reply, then run again, then stop..etc.. General speaking, your speed is good...

I use it for Skype-Landline. It can speak for 30 min to a land line in greece and it would cost me the same as a land line in Sydney.. Calls to mobiles are just a bit cheaper than telstra, but landlines, once you go skype you dont go back

It is easy to get credit for calls, credit card, $15, you can use it for ever..
    No restrictions, no ports to open, easy....

5. Skype is great.... so is ventrilo and teamspeak.

Maybe we need a netrider channel?

6. I use Skype/Skype but it's with ADSL2+. I have a friend in Adelaide who I use it to talk to with Video enablesd as well. It's usually OK but occasionally the video lags a bit.

7. I'm on dial up and i use Skype/Skype for audio no probs.

I also use it at work as it's the only chat progam that not blocked by our firewall as we use it for calling person 2 person inter office, aparently it's saved us a shitload of $$$$

8. Cool. Thanks for all the replys.
    It looks like the best (cheapest) way to keep in touch with Mrs 2wheelsagain. :)