Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Who Stops Through A Turn?

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' started by richierich, Nov 12, 2012.

1. I was riding to work this morning, about halfway through my trip when I stopped at lights on the inside of a double turning lane for a right-hand turn (cnr Blackburn and Wellington rd). Started through the turn alright and into second gear when suddenly the three cars in front of me come to an abrupt stop at the end of the turn and well of course in hindsight "don't brake on a corner" is the perfect practice, but the gut reaction kicked in and I low-sided into the bitumen. Ouch!

Thank goodness for the gear, ended up with a graze to my right elbow (I think a friction burn from the padding in my jacket), a very sore and swollen left thumb and a bent indicator, rear brake lever and scratched mirror to the bike.

A big thanks to the fellow rider on the Blue Honda 600 Hornet for helping me out and making sure I was okay, Sorry, I didn't catch his name.
  2. Three cars just stopped suddenly. Why? Sounds to me like you missed something important going on in the traffic around you that you probably could've seen coming. Any idea what it was?

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad you're ok, but this is a good time to review what happened and learn something from the experience.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. i like that there is an emoticon for nodding...BUT WHY IS THE SMILEY FACE NOT WEARING A HELMET - ATGATT GUYS...ATGATT
    • Like Like x 2
  4. It's wrong to think you can't brake in a corner, you just need to learn (and practice) how to do it correctly so that this sort of thing doesn't happen to you again at some point in the future. There's a big difference between what you can/can't do in the context of trying to corner as fast as possible on a track, versus just making a right turn at an intersection.

Of course as Gobberwart pointed out, being able to read traffic is also very important, though I think most of us still get the occasional "oh shit" moment - since there's no limit to the stupid unpredictable things drivers are capable of.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. #5 richierich, Nov 12, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2012

There's a break in the median strip just through the intersection which is badly placed for any traffic doing the turn I and the other cars were doing as it's obscured by the cars stopped on Wellington rd until you're well into the turn. Especially if some fool decides to try and do a u-turn there which is what I suspect has happened. As several cars go through the turn and have to come to a stop it naturally shortens the braking distance.

Point certainly well taken tho'
  6. As jd said, it's wrong to think you can't (ever) brake in a corner. You can for sure, but there's often a bit more thought that goes into which brake and how hard. It's a bit different if you're on a tight corner and already pushing your bike's capabilities, but not in this case.

If you were in 2nd gear going around that corner, you were doing maybe 20-30 kmh and you weren't tipped over much. Provided you weren't right up the car in front's arse, easing off the throttle and light braking should really have been sufficient. If you were right up the car's arse... well, there's your problem.
  7. Actually, I do remember the braking on corners lessons from the HART course I did twelve months or so ago.
    I did for a brief second consider straightening and going wide around the car in front but with the other turning lane there opted to stay in my lane and brake. Straightening and braking would've been the best option.
    Oh, and no, I wasn't up the car's arse ;)
  8. So the question is, where did you go wrong?
  9. Given you ride/drive this road regularly, surely you would have anticipated that this could occur.
  10. Well Richierich, plenty of good advice. Glad you're ok and the bike doesn't seem too badly damaged.

Good to hear also that another rider stopped and helped you out, I'm always glad when the bretheren does that. Too often, unfortunately, no one stops to help.

I'm sure you'll be more experienced getting into a similar situation in the future (like reading the traffic a bit better, right braking technique, not panicking too quickly). Live and learn!
    • Like Like x 1