Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Who still plays the old computer games?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by hornet, Jan 22, 2008.

1. I just can't get involved with chewing up my bandwidth shooting at some dork in Scranton, Ohio, in on-line games. So I still play Doom, and Doom II (millions of single-player wads still available) because I can't see how on-line games could be any more enjoyable.

Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix series still give the most realistic driving experience, in my opinion (and I gave away my X-Box 360 as a Christmas present, because it didn't seem to do anything much that interested me).

If you want me, I'll be in my cave, bashing the rocks together :LOL:.
  2. I admit nothing! :LOL:

Ancient empires..
  3. Do you call those old?

What about hot rods, the larry leisure suit series, dune, abuse, prince of persia 1 and 2, day of the tentacle, carmageddon?

4. Hah!

I made myself a pub pong game in the late 70's on a wirewrap board using a 40 pin AYG chip that hooked up to the rf (antenna) input on the TV channel 1. I re-found it when sorting through some crap (er, I mean fine items that will one day be invaluable for what I want to use it for), and was explaining to the kids what it was. From their expression, I just knew there was a great big spider directly above my head about to pounce on me. We took a vote on whether we should fire it up (their vote was worth 1 each, and mine was worth 70 million) and roger me stupid if it didn't still work.

"Dad, the colour seems to be missing"
    "Dad, the box is getting hot"
    "Dad, I can't get any of the other games on it"
    "Dad, I can't get the background tunes to work"
    "Dad, the save-high-scores menu doesn't come up"

Still, they played it for hours. I did too after they went to bed.
  5. Ah, computer games of old.

Zork (or any text adventure from Infocom)
    "Graphic" adventures such as "The Secret of Bastow Manor"

The "quest" series such as King's Quest, Space Quest, etc.

Back then, most games were only available to the unwashed in pubs where you put in 20 cents for a 2 person, take your turn, play. Our favorite was "Galaxions", sort of an upbeat version of Space Invaders.

The day of the home or personal computer was still a fair way off, even though Tandy and the likes were marketing them. But they were more for the real geeks and enthusiasts - people who coded their own stuff and built their own computers.

I think it took the Comodore Vic 20 and C-64 to start bringing computing to the masses. Naturally they were looked down upon with much disdain by the purists...

Today a computer is little more than a whitegood, albeit still as reliable as what's been around since year dot. People still have problems running stuff. If a toaster or a VCR was as unreliable as a total computer package could be you'd see shitloads of returns every day and consumer affairs being swamped with complaints.

While the hardware has mostly stabilised, not every computer software package can boast 100 percent availabiity.
  6. Day of the Tentacle, Lucas Arts' finest hour!!

I work in a behaviour school where the childen have the attention span of a gnat and the social graces of a Parisian public toilet. DOTT doesn't like XP, but I found a patch that promised to work, (don't they all??) AND IT DID, and the children have been playing it for months!!!

And I still hold a record massive score on Volcano Hunter, on the Tandy TRS-80. (There's a DOS port of it too, but my slowest computer still runs it too fast to control the player :().
  7. Solitaire.....

:oops: :LOL:
  8. you call that old??

On my Playstation 3 I downloaded Mortal Kombat II and Gauntlet II so I can play them on the 46 inch TV!!!!!

I also still have my atari 1040st in the shed - occasionally whip it out for Double Dragon & Super Hang On
  9. Pfft...Castle Wolfenstein.

Regards, Andrew.
  10. I have worms on my phone.
  11. No way in hell mate.

That'd be a dead heat between "Full Throttle" and "The Grim Fandango"! Day of the Tentacle was good, but not THAT good!

I still play the Close Combat II (the best) and III from time to time.
  12. No way in hell mate.

That'd be a dead heat between "Full Throttle" and "The Grim Fandango"! Day of the Tentacle was good, but not THAT good!

I still play the Close Combat II (the best) and III from time to time.
  13. I have the old Nintendo system in my bedroom, with all the old classics like mario bros, zelda, duck hunt etc

Also have a lot of old games on my computer. You can get them all at http://www.the-underdogs.info/ except for sierra games they have a copyright on them

We have computer games in every room of the house (only a little addicted :p)
  14. nerds, although I still love playing Asteroids and Galaga! :cool:

My mate has an old console from the early 80's
  15. I'll put in a shout out to Shufflepuck Cafe for all of the die hard black and white Mac fans out there (and there is nothing wrong with having 26 vintage Macs in your shed).

There was a game we played on the Apple II at school which I can't remember the name of for the life of me, but you were shipwrecked on a desert island and had to balance gold mining, timber harvesting, water collection and boat building before a cyclone came and killed you all; good times.

Lemonade stand has also been resurrected on a few web-sites for the budding capitalists out there.

I still think that the Super NES was the pinnacle of home gaming.
  16. Atari 2600's went through a little retro resurgence there in the 90's. Brought back some old memories.
    Spy Hunter, Frogga.
    Some of those games are worth a bit now as collectables.
  17. I've still got an old Intellivision that I fire up occasionally, some of the games on that are actually a lot more fun than some of the modern stuff. Also have the tribute they did for the PS2 but the games just aren't the same without that weird 80's mobile phone looking controller ;).
  18. Double Dragon, one of my favourite 80s games! Along with Wonderboy, Ghosts and Goblins and 1942. Go the 80s!
  19. With ya there
    GPIII is awesome.... :grin: