Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Who sells Race Tech gold valves?

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by Marlon, May 27, 2007.

1. Hey fellas,

Went on a SR500 ride down to Kangaroo Valley yesterday. An absolute blast as always and great to pick people's brains apart for improvements to my SR...

Anyway, my suspension is as soft as shite and a few of the guys out there recommended I put 20 grade oil in the forks (It's got 10 in it at the moment, I think) maybe some harder springs or race tech gold valves.

I'll scrimp and save for some adjustable rear shocks, probably Ikons, and hopefully that'll sort out some of the handling problems I've had - the bike diving drastically under breaks etc. Then I'lls look at getting a simple steering damper to stop the scariest moment on my bike - tank slapping through wiseman's ferry.

Anyway, does anybody know an Australian distributer of race tech engineering stuff? I've got their website - http://www.race-tech.com But it's pretty hard to navigate. Apparantly there's a dealer out near silverdale...

Anyway, opinons on Gold Valves? Are they as easy to install as what I was told? ("Just plonk 'em in the forks")

2. Try Sydney Performance Motorcycles at Taren Point, I believe Brendan may be able to help you. If you have bad dive under brakes, you need to look at the springs in the front too, they can be had quiet cheap, and you may experience a much better ride. I am looking for springs and a re-valve of my bird forks, and will get an Ohlins when I go to the US in November.
  3. Take your bike to a professional... the saying is nothing as expensive as something cheap bought twice..

Get them to at least tell them what you need, if they don't listen go elsewhere.. and I know of a mob up here who do suspension work who just put in what the book tells them, no tailoring the bike for the rider.
  4. +1

I've heard alot about the guy they call zeno there. He's helping me with my suspension on the z750 right now.

He seems to know what he's talking about and the upgrades are not ohlins front n back, they're bang for your buck treatments.

I'll write a review in a few weeks after i get my front n back done.
  5. Zeno is their inhouse Guru, highly recommended.
  6. Thanks for the replies guys!

Tweet, front springs might be coming - the guy I was speaking to said that XS650 front forks slot straight into mine and are a fair bit stiffer - tomorrow morning I'm going to do a call around and see what the local wreckers have.

Tanya, I know that the cheapest, easiest and trouble-free way would be to take the bike to a professional to set it up, but I'm liking the whole 'do it yourself' stuff at the moment. I didn't have much idea before getting this bike but now I can check valve clearences, cam chain tension, rejet a carby and some other stuff, so I want to do the suspension myself, if nothing but out of curiosity.

It'll probably end badly - I'm thinking about either doing a write-up on it or making a youtube video about it so everyone can laugh as I drop the bike, set fire to my hair (Christ knows how, but it'll probably happen) or loose an essential retaining nut.
  7. Suspension is a lot more complicated than that..
  8. I don't know Tanya, maybe it is, but from the copius amount of reading I'm managed in the past few days, it doesn't look like it is.

The rear end is easily sorted, a set of konis. Change one at a time, make sure they're the right way around and adjust to medium/stiff setting. Take it for a ride and see how it'll feel. (Probably damn awful)

I'll probably end up doing the front forks progresively - start with harder oil and work my way onto more complex affairs, springs and valves.

I can appreciate that there will be a lot of work to get it set up nicely, but I think the process itself will be quite straightfoward, if time consuming. A front stand, undo all the pinch bolts and then the main retainer at the top of the forks. Unbolt the front tyres/brake assembly and pull the whole things out, flip the oil out into a bucket. Let them stand.

Measure the oil, 180mils of 20 grade, in it goes. Reverse disassembly process. Take it for a ride and if it's fine, then whammo, adjust the rear shocks again using a key and start riding, cheap and simple.

I've got more investigation to do on changing the springs, but I can't see how that can be any more difficult. I am simplyfying things a fair bit, but I think it can be easily done.

Everything on my bike is very easy to get to, and having been lucky enough to strip a lot of it down when I was building it up I've learnt a few things. I can imagine there would certainly be an art to suspension set up, but I think a lot of it is a bit of a 'black art' - like setting up a guitar, training a horse, bedding a rifle or brewing your own beer. With a bit of persistance and with some help from such knowledgable people as the NetRiders and the SR500 club I think it can be done.

I'll put up a running commentary and some pics when it's underway and you have full gloating rights if the whole plan explodes in a massive fireball in my garage. :grin:
  9. Suspension is no more complicated than a lot of other 'stuff', there are some excellent books around and as long as your good at grasping mechanical concepts it's very easy and cheaper to do it yourself.
  10. +1 for recommending Zeno at sydney performance motorcycles.

This guy is up there in suspension tech know-how at an international level, thoroughly recommended.