Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Who Said Linked Brakes Are No Good???

Discussion in 'Multimedia' at netrider.net.au started by dan chee, Oct 29, 2007.

1. found this on another forum, and as talk yesterday came fo linked brakes and endos.... thought i'd post this
    aV1ellqr.

2. why would link brakes effect pulling a stoppie.....surely if you jumped on the front hard enough it would still lift the rear. I would assume the rear wheel would stop spinning but who cares it's in the air......mind you, all this coming from someone who can't stoppie :LOL:

3. They don't.

On the Honda's implementation of linked brakes, there is a master cylinder that's mounted on the left fork. It is actuated by linkages that are connected to that side's front caliper.

When you operate the front brake the caliper will move on a hinge in reaction to the torque and then pushes a plunger into the cylinder. That then operates the rear brake via a separate hydraulic line that works on a third piston in the caliper.

So, when you grab a handful of front brake, the rear becomes useless once the rear wheel has lost grip with the road surface. ie. during a stoppy.

Why I hate Honda's DCBS is because the rear brake has a connection to one of the front calipers. So, when you tap the rear, say, negotiating a turn in a carpark the front brake also operates, and if you're not careful it can tip you over. Plus, there are some riders who tap the rear as they set themselves up for a corner. Doing that on a DCBS Honda can straighten it up and cause you to run wide if you're not familiar with it.

Better to have it so that the front operates the rear, but the rear is independant from the front.

4. just what i thought :wink:

5. That's just crazy :shock:

It's not at all uncommon for me to drag the rear brake around roundabouts if the traffic I'm following is slow, front brake at that speed while tipped over a bit would be rather ugly.

6. Nothing to do with a stoppie, but the 3rd gen DCBS (such as you and I have Dan) is almost un-noticable when braking.
    I find the brakes on the bird very capable of wiping of huge amounts of velocity very quickly, and my only gripe is when as mentioned at an almost standstill, like carparks or when balancing waiting for a red light to turn green, a slight tap on the rear can make it bite the front, and then you have to put your foot down.

7. That hasn't been my experience.

Trail the rear brake into a fast corner (say turn 1 at PI) at 200kph plus and watch any DCBS equipped bike run wide.

On a standard braking system trailing the rear brake will instead tighten the line into the corner.

And yes one can choose not to brake (but the point is to maximise corner speed) and the DCBS removes one way of achieving that.

This effect is obvious on road corners as well if one is pushing hard *and yes some riders never ride that hard so won't experience it*.

8. well i find the brakes PHENOMONAL!!! i push hard and as long as you dont stand on the rear brake the bike is totally under control and goes where i want it to, i am always trialing my rear brake to tighten in mid corners, only if i panic and stab the rear brake will the front dive.... easy, dont panic.
    The brakes are awesome.!

9. +1,
    I have to agree with Dan here, if I go in too hot, a controlled use of the rear brake will tighten the turn in.

ZRX1200, what bike with the DCBS were you experiencing this on??