Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Who remembers Laverton??

Discussion in 'Racing, Motorsports, and Track Days' started by rc36, Jul 31, 2005.

1. No, not the location, or even the Air Force base.

No the Australian TT that was held at the Laverton Air Force base in February 1976.

It saw the appearance of the biggest collection of motorcycling stars from overseas ever to race here in one go until the GP was brought here in the 90's

Agostini, Bonera, Pileri, Hennen, and heaps more of them. It was a fantastic meeting and the local hero, the late Kenny Blake, won the 500cc race on a brand new Suzuki RG500 against Giacomo Agostini on the MV Agusta.

We were sheltering under one of the few trees available on race day, it must have been 40 degrees in the sun, and a little old Italian guy in front of us had a little cassette recorder and every time Ago would go by, he'd hold it up and record the gorgeous sound, then turn to his wife and babble excitedly in Italian.

Do any Netriders remember the meeting?
  2. I do, but it was before a lot of them were an itch in their fathers pants :D
  3. I was 4 years old :)
  4. I remember it because every time RC has the opportunity, he tells me again that he went and I wasn't able to!!! Then he shows me his photos! (we're the same age, in case anyone doesn't get the joke here)
  5. Yep sure do, I also remember the trip there on the back of one of them Kawasaki 750 triple strokers :shock: . And they called the 500 the widow maker. ha
  6. Yeh the 750 was one quarter meaner again!