Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Who picked up a bargain 675?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by rdkls, Nov 20, 2014.

1. IMG_20140518_170420 cropped (1).

Just interested, it was my bike but got stolen (AAMI were great btw), wondering what's gonna become of it - will I see it around on the streets, will she become a track monster :]

Was planning to go to the auction but slept in and am now totally cursing myself.
    Has new rear tyre, front discs, pads, chain and sprockets. Quite high on the Ks (around 50,000) but was still going strong.
    I have the key if you want, save getting another ignition.
    Mainly just curious what's gonna become of it. I guess not likely I'll get a response, but whoever it is hope you enjoy!
  2. If it was NSW no-one would be buying it....
  3. #3 rdkls, Nov 20, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
    Nope Vic (thread changed)
    Why would no-one buy it in NSW hornethornet ?
  4. Because written off bikes cannot be re-registered in NSW, even if the damage is superficial.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Which would probably push the price down and make it appealing for a track bike.
  6. no, written-off bikes cannot be SOLD, for any purpose.....
  7. Really? That's effing odd if a wrecker can't even purchase it.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. a wrecker can purchase, but only to break up for parts, not to sell complete
  9. Really, how does that work?

I thought anybody could buy (usually from salvage auction), but it could never re-register it.

So you could buy one for track work and nobody would be any the wiser.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Quote from the RMS website

What is a written off vehicle?
    A vehicle is written off if it has been so badly damaged that it’s not safe or economical to repair.

An insurer, self-insurer or auto dismantler uses a formula set out in the Road Transport Act 2013 to determine whether a vehicle will be written off.

Written off vehicles cannot be re-registered in NSW, except in limited circumstances, and can only be used for parts or scrap metal.

These laws apply to all light vehicles (less than 4.5 tonnes Gross Vehicle Mass), including cars, trailers, caravans and motorcycles, up to 15 years old.

The NSW written off vehicle laws aim to make vehicles safer and protect road users. They also aim to reduce vehicle theft, car re-birthing and related crime in NSW.
  11. Where does it state they cannot be sold for any purpose? It even states they can be re-registered in limited circumstances.

And what about vehicles older than 15 years?
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Ah ok so you can buy them still.
    And guess once you buy it, what you do with it on private land (e.g. track) is up to you; the wording seems to just be (clumsily) saying, you can't use it on the roads.
  13. As I thought. No reason it couldn't be used as a track bike.
  14. Nah, they can be sold.
  15. Where does it state it can't be sold? It even says in limited circumstances it can be registered again.

I don't see anything that wouldn't be okay with making it a track bike.
  16. Unless NSW is considerably different to the other states, a written off vehicle is entered into the national Written Off Vehicle Register (WOVR) as either a Statutory Write-off (can't be re-registered due to structural damage exceeding the relevant limits), or a repairable write-off (financially unviable to repair professionally, but structurally ok to repair and re-register). Repairable write-offs must be repaired to standard manufacturer's specs, with documentation showing that it's the vehicle you claim it to be, and showing that the parts that you used to repair it weren't from stolen vehicles. You then pay a hefty price to have the bike and documentation scrutinised and approved or not approved for re-registration, and you take it through the roadworthiness inspection, etc (or not, if it isn't approved).

Stolen vehicles have their record marked as such. If they're recovered, the record is then amended to say that it's a recovered stolen vehicle. They are not entered into the WOVR unless they are damaged to the point of being in one of the categories of write-off. Because stolen vehicles are rarely recovered after a certain time, insurance companies pay out if it hasn't been recovered within a certain time. This will vary from insurer to insurer.

Vehicles over 15 years old are not entered into the WOVR, no matter how badly damaged they are.

Of course, NSW could be different.

Now, with all that said, I don't recall the OP saying anything about it being written off. He said it was stolen. In all likelihood, a dealer has probably bought it to repair whatever damage (if any) may have been done by the thief, then sell it at a tidy profit.

Fcukin' hell guys! Talk about jumping to conclusions!
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. Nsw is different.
    I'm not sure what happens with stolen, will have to check that.
  18. When did they merge roads and Maritime? I'm sure the NSW motor registry was called something else a few years ago when I lived in Coffs.
  19. One of O'farrells initiatives. combined Roads Authority and Maritime services.
    • Informative Informative x 1