Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Who is your motorcycling Hero?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by rc36, Aug 27, 2005.

1. For some of us it's racers, I guess, or it could be someone we know or knew who got us started on this great pastime.

Who's your hero?

2. I would have too say my old man he used too take me on his bike when i was a youngun and i can still remember them :D :D :D

3. Me :D I'm a legend in my own mind, I'm still a racer so I bow to no one. I have been racing for 30 years, dirt & road, I have been broke for 30 years because of it, I've had so many operations in hospital from all the crashes, I know I'm going to be in some big pain when I get old (er).

Maybe I'm not a hero, maybe I'm just stupid? :wink:

4. i was driving west on the M4 motorway today and i saw some guy on a super sports of some kind going opposite me weaving between cars and flying at an obscene speed......it made the scene of trinity in matrix reloaded pale in comparison!!!

now of course i'll never do that or approve of it........but it did look cool!! :)

5. Racing for 30 years????

Man, with a CV like that, you could be MY hero!!!

6. Or I could be your idiot but thanks

7. My father in law got me and my wife into riding, for that I will be eternally grateful.

My best mate for exposing me to the world of dirt bikes as a teenager, on reflection I was I was as much of a riding nut then as I am now.

VALENTINO ROSSI

No question. People will argue the nuances and the cross-generational comparisons, but for me, no-one is better than The Doctor. Watching him race is a privelege.

8. Doohan

Rossi

Dunlop

9. No-one would remember him, but Bob Rosenthal, winning the King of the Weir at Hume Weir in the streaming rain, on a Yamaha TZ-750 against a horde of 350s. Sliding on two tyres and his knee through the left/right combination onto the pit "straight", with the best 350 riders in the country blinded by his wake.
    I've forgotten a lot fron that era, some of which I wish I could remember, but I'll never forget Bob that day.

10. For me it's a no-brainer.

The late, great, Kenny Blake. Won everything there was worth winning here and could have done the same in Europe but for a wet and slippery track at the Isle of Man, June 9th 1981.

www.members.iinet.net.au/~vfr750/KennyBlake

11. There can be only one......... Barry Sheene...
    but if there could be two....... Joey Dunlop
    and three, our own..............Mick Doohan

12. Barry Sheene.

Wasn't alive to see him actually race but met him probably a dozen or so times at various events. Always willing to chat to anyone and more then willing to grab a beer, funny, down to earth and generally a top bloke. Sadly missed.

13. Evel Knievel :LOL:

14. none are my heros , because i dont need a motorcyclist to be my hero for me to ride.

but i do admire anyone who lines up on the grid at the Motogp , just because of the skill and ability that it takes to be in the top 30 in the world.

15. Fast Freddie Spencer

The 250 and 500 titles in one year. I don't think anybody else will be doing that again

16. You DON'T admire anyone who lines up on the grid, or you DO?

Typo???

17. Mick Doohan. Cos he's an Aussie and he kicked arse!

18. DO thanks rc , missed that :LOL:

19. Heros? Probably not... racers who's riding skill and 'aura' have influenced influenced motorcycling... yes :)

Greg Hansford - Racing in world championships (and winning) years earlier than the names we hear about now.

Wayne Gardner - His sucess brought the premier racing class to Australia and started the trend that allowed mainstream society to start treating motorcyclists as a 'valid' part of society.

Michael Doohan - Without Doohan I suspect the attitude changes towards motorcycling and more importantly motorcyclists, that started when WG was winning, would have taken years longer to come about. Besides going to the GP to watch Doohan, Rainey, Schwantz and others became a yearly pilgramidge for tens of thousands of Australian motorcyclists and remains so for us. Anything that allows beer and bikes can't be all bad ;-)

20. Agostini, Joey Dunlop, Steve Hislop, David Jeffries, John McGuinness.
    Can you tell I'm a TT fan?...:LOL: