Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Who here has been to a damaged motorcycle Auction

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by goz, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Just hoping a few of you can fill me in regarding what bikes actualy go for, lets say repairable write offs that can be turned into a track bike

What type of bike was it, what year, how much damage and what it went for

Would be valuable information, thanks :)

2. Oy! Rack off mate. You had your chance. :LOL:

Hi All

Just hoping a few of you can fill me in regarding what bikes actualy go for, lets say repairable write offs that can be turned into a track bike

What type of bike was it, what year, how much damage and what it went for

Would be valuable information, thanks

Finn the plagiarist.

3. Yamaha 2008 R6, covered in sh!t.

4. If you want your own bike back goz it would be cheaper to contact your insurance company and ask for the buy back price - it's likely that it will be cheaper than what you'd pay at auction.

5. I have been to a couple goz, and purchased at one. If it is in anyway a supersport bike with track potential (read RR, GSXR, YZF, ZX etc) the auction will be full of rossi hopefuls hoping to pick up a track bike and the are going for way too much money. It is also full of thieves hoping to swap parts out from a bike they stole and get it re-birthed with a little help from thier cousin who will write up the reciepts for them. We actually saw a bunch argueing over which one was going to bid.

If not for track, by the time these bikes are fixed and rego'd they cost maybe (and this is a big maybe) $1K less than the market rate, which is about right for a repairable write off anyway! For the track these idiots are paying almost as much as a track bike already set up by someone else.

Some of this may have all changed since the new laws regarding no repairable WO's came in.

K

6. The repairer said there was $10,000 damage on my bike and he reckons it's to late for me to make an offer as it's already processed for pickles, so the Ricky races will have a field day on my bike then, damn

7. Agree with this - if you want to get Martha back, then tell the insurance company...

8. Totally agree with the above comments made by Holster & Miraz (y)

9. That's exactly what I told my Nephew.
    We are/were thinking of going halves if the price was right and puting her on the track.

Will have to see on the day. (after some more serious thought. I'm also looking at MrWasabi's ZX6 which is for sale here on NR)

10. Let her go, Goz - if Martha comes home now it won't be the same, and she'll eventually turn on your entire family.
    No, wait, that was Pet Sematary.
    Carry on..

11. I've been to a few over the years. The last time I went bikes were generally going for more than they should have.

since then they have brought in new rules for re-registering smashed bikes in NSW. I'm not sure if they are 100% yet and what they are but if you find out I would be interested.

This may mean the people hopeful of getting a cheap road bike are no longer driving up the prices. It may also mean the wreckers are saturated. All good for price if you are only after a track bike.

12. I plan on going to the 1 where my bike is sold, I'll report back here when its done

13. The issue you may find is the likes of people like adrenelin PB also registered as other names on ebay, go to auctions buy bikes for a little more than normal plebs will pay, transport them to thier factory and list them the next day on ebay for twice what they paid untouched!
    To top it off they also list the same bike twice!