Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Who has done their 'P' test on a cruiser, recently?

Discussion in 'Cruisers' started by 2troo, Mar 31, 2008.

1. Hello all, I have a question about What cruiser to buy for a learner - no new question I know but... I have heard that the famous Virago 250 is not so easy on turning circle.. what do other cruiser riders do when it comes to the 'P' test? So has anyone done their 'P's on a cruiser recently?

2. Hire a CB250 for the day - the cruiser will be difficult.
  3. Here in SA, you would definately not be able to pass the advanced course on a cruiser, the course was designed specifically for the CB250 and they provide you one to do it on. Or at least they did.
    I think they've changed bikes recently.
  4. We did some skills test on Viragos (slow rides through obstacle course with cones etc) not long ago and I was sure I'd never be able to do it without a lot of practice (it really blew my confidence) then halfway through the day we swapped to on road/off road chook chasers and I went around the course without skipping a beat...

The non-cruiser bikes make it a lot easier, and considering the cost and nerves I'd be taking the safer option.
  5. Did my "beginner" course on a Yamaha Scorpio 225 at Oaklands Park, no CB250s in sight.

Edit-This was February this year.
  6. Recently could be any time since august 2006 ;)

7. Yeah they don't use them anymore because they don't make the CB250 now, been replaced by the CB250F (I think its called?)
  8. i have not gone for my P's yet.
    but i have spoken to alot of people with diffrent bikes, and they always say just rent the bike for the day.

It also saves you from going there and paying again once you fail.
  9. My ride is a Kwaka VN250 Eliminator....

I can do a U Turn in my street and I have practised cone weaves in local carpark (but not in offset position) - all done with no problems.

I went for a private lesson at HART and we did some practise runs of the MOST test (which is harder than the actual MOST test).

Instructors final words.... You can pass the test.... but NOT on this bike ! He suggested for the extra cost - hire the CB250 / CBF250 and save yourself the nerves and dissapointment from not passing on the cruiser.... and the fact that if you drop it - it aint your own ride getting damaged ;)

I feel totally comfortable on my bike and riding it aroundbut for the MOST test I am going to hire the CB250.

Hope that helps :)

CJ :D
  10. Have a Yamaha XVS650 cruiser and did a bit of practising in the last 5 months but decided to go rent a bike from the people I did the test with.

Did it last Saturday at Campbelltown. The bike they hired me was one of the ones used for the Ls. It’s a Korean brand bike that I have hot heard of and it was a sports style even though I asked for one of the cruisers that they have. Apparently, all of the hire bikes are the sports style...

Any way, after a few minutes on the bike, finding the rear brake and gear change, it felt not too bad. Very light and nimble. The Instructor also used my hire bike to do all of the demonstrations on so I knew it could be done…… :grin:

I think that the instructor said the timing was to be ……
    Some theory, skills practice, break.
    More theory brief on the road ride and then road ride
    Lunch – (take something with you)
    Some chat and then the MOST and finish…….. but……. .that’s not what happened!

We had some “talkâ€, and then few minutes practising the MOST skills on a set up to the side of where the MOST would be. (You are not allowed to practice the MOST test on the day – you can practice the skills but not the actual test….. if you know what I mean).

After the first break, he said that the system had now changed and the MOST was done before lunch and before the road ride etc. We were a little shocked as he said we had only 20 more minutes and then we would do the MOST. During the practise we had all been hitting cones and crossing lines etc…. we were all sure we would fail.

He gave us real good advice on what we needed to do and how the points system works. Things like, “if you are going to cross a line, just cross it but don’t put your foot down trying to save itâ€, and “The main thing to remember is that you don’t fail if you hit a cone or put your foot down – only if you go over 8 points so keep calm and continue as if nothing happenedâ€

Now – The technique for the cone weave and the U turn….all the slow speed stuff , I simply copied the instructors when I did the MOST. During the skills practice, I had been trying to do it how I would ride on my bike (Be steady, let the clutch out, keep engine rpm down to go slow). I had hit lines, cones, tennis balls and had been putting my foot down all morning. For the MOST I thought, “What the heck, I’m going to fail anyway so I might as well see if I can do what he didâ€.

1 – Head check – do this whenever you are moving off – even during the practice.
    2 – Go to about ½ throttle….. sounds like you are revving the you know what out of it.
    3 – Lots of rear brake to keep speed down – the brake light is always on…..
    4 – Use the clutch to control speed

The rear brake stops you going too fast and the high engine speed keeps you upright. The clutch is the speed control - want to go a little faster?....let more clutch out. Slow down?..... bring the clutch in. Slip it all the time. I never had the clutch fully out during the slow speed stuff ever. (Note, as I wouldn’t like this on my bike, I’m real glad I hired one of theirs).

Instructor laid out the course and we all nailed it – all 6 passed.

We then had lunch, came back, had bit or a briefing on what would happen on the road ride got back and got our certificates.

Then, on Sunday, I took my XVS out for the day and it felt GREAT…….. :cool: :cool: :) :cool: !!!!

So, my advice it to go hire one of their bikes. If it breaks down, they have to get it sorted for you, they know how to ride them and can show you, you can abuse it for the day and you don’t need to worry – then, once you have passed, you can ride a real bike..!

Hope this helps – didn’t mean it to go so long……!
  11. I am from same area as you.
    Unable to find places companies that rent bikes. Do you have any ideas where to rent?
  12. You usually rent it from the place you do the test...
  13. i did, and failed. the instructor rented me the cruiser :evil:

14. Your in Melbourne bro, you should have been able to pass riding a walrus while giving it an enema at the same time.
  15. I booked my test on line and then phoned the RTA to get the phone number of the people at the test centre. Called them and said I was booked in and needed a bike. It was there when I arrived.
  16. I agree with Nivek on the technique required in using the brake, throttle and clutch but disagree with everyone that say “hire a bikeâ€. The idea in doing the course is not to pass a test but to become proficient in your riding skills. :roll: The P’s test can be done and passed on a cruiser. I’ve got a XVS 250 cruiser and did my P’s test last Saturday and passed with no points loss \:D/ ( I wasn’t the only one to not lose points). I found a vacant car park and practiced the MOST for a couple of hours on Saturday mornings. I was still nervous doing the test 8-[ but it has increased my confidence in the handling of a cruiser. So I say do it on what you are going to be riding.
  17. I wish it was possible on XVS650. the turn radius of bike doesn't fit in U-turn radium 6.1m.
    It's not possible physically!
  18. I totally disagree. Test days make most people really nervous, so they tense up, make stupid mistakes and generally make a knob of it on their own. Personally I'd take the advantage of the right bike.
    The reason you have L & P plates is to show other road users you're still learning (that's the theory anyway) and most testers I've heard of push the "you're still learning even if you pass" advice - and everyone should take note of that.
  19. I was intrigued by this, so I did an experiment on mine out in the back yard, and I was able to get it to what I am sure is under 6 metres. I would even think that with more practice and a decent surface it would be able to be tightened at least to a 5 metre radius.

Throttle control and back brake use is key to this sort of exercise.
  20. Bonkers,
    I think we will have to agree to disagree. :roll: I would rather feel comfortable and confident on what I’m riding. I understand what you are saying about using the right bike (i.e. CB 250), but after reading other posts and listening to “advice†from mates on what I should do the test on, I gained immense pride and hence confidence in passing the test on a cruiser :woot: (even though a baby cruiser :-w ) when others were saying that it can’t be done. I watched the instructor do circles on a cruiser while doing the cone weave test. Yes he is more experienced in riding but it showed that it is possible, it’s only a matter of practice.