Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Who does the R&D for some companies??

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by hornet, May 4, 2012.

1. Yesterday I was in the bike shop, buying a tank protector for the nice blue paint on my VFR. That was quick and easy, but I didn't have to pick up Mrs Hornet for half an hour, so I wandered around looking at stuff and trying things on..

as you do..

"Ah, Nitro helmets are back", I note, and having owned several over the years, I tried one on.

Which brings me to the title of the thread

Under NO circumstances could I get the arms of my glasses down over my ears once I had the helmet on. The padding round the ears is very generous, to be sure, but just will not allow you to put the arms of the glasses where they're supposed to be.

I pointed this out to the nice young man behind the counter. His response; "Well Nitro is an entry-level helmet, you know". To which I replied, "So only people who DON'T wear glasses buy entry-level helmets?"

He directed my attention to a nice $500 Shark helmet which has special padding, just for people who wear glasses, or sunglasses, under their helmet. I was very impressed, but left with the impression I have expressed; who at Nitro decided that catering to the world's growing number of people who wear glasses, not to mention the millions who wear sunnies, was NOT an important consideration???
  2. It's a conspiracy I tells ya! I've noticed the same thing. While tinted visors and all that are nice, they don't filter enough light for me. Hence I wear polarised sunnies most of the time. Some of the 'entry' level helmets I tried allowed me to wear my sunnies, most didn't. Even some of the Shark ones I tried on didn't allow me to wear sunnies comfortably. My current HJC works perfectly.

I'm no safety engineer type but I don't think scoring a line into the padding to allow for glasses to be worn would compromise the users safety in any major way
  3. Glasses capability was one of the criteria I had when I bought my current Nolan flip front.

You're right Paul, they are excluding a lot of people - not just those of us that wear prescription glasses, but anyone who wears sunglasses.
  4. Good review hornet, but the one thing that has been failed to mention is head shape. An entry level helmet will only be designed for one or two generic head shapes. I have quite an oval shaped head, the number of helmets I can wear comfortably are quite narrow.
  5. The problem is that they dont do R&D for entry level stuff. That is why they hit the low price point. Unfortunately they just copy the big companies but the details are missing. There is no innovation or thought compared to a larger company like Shark, Arai or Shoei.
  6. fair point, and to be honest I wasn't expecting too much at that price point

but, as I noted, I've owned a few Nitros, and still have the most recent one, and my glasses (or sunnies) never were, and still aren't, a problem...

I wear a Vemar flip-front these days, but I'm pondering a proper full face for longer trips to get away from the wind noise, hence trying on....
  7. I have no problem with glasses and non glasses friendly helmets, but hopefully any good sales person makes it clear.

The real problem is someone who alternates contact lenses and glasses may not think of this when they go helmet shopping and buy an uncomfortable helmet. But that really is the riders fault. When I go helmet shopping, I bring along all my glasses, sunnies and my headphones and test the comfort of every combination.
  8. get glasses that don't need to go down behind the ear much
  9. I recently replaced the cheek pads in my Zeus 2100 helmet, to find it difficult to put my glasses on. Considering I ride daily it was a pain for the first week or so but now I have no problems.
  10. Maybe I've been lucky but I've never had a problem with sunnies or glasses in any helmet I've worn or owned. My current helmet/spectacle combination can be a bit more awkward than I've been used to but it's fine now that I've had a bit of practice.
  11. and this is the first time in trying on and owning several different helmets over many years that I've noticed this problem .... I agree that helmets 'bed in' but by the look of how the padding is laid out in the Nitro, I can't see any way of glasses access being any better, no matter how long you wore it ....
  12. I have a blind guy that does my R&D he works by Braille
  13. I've found over the years that there are lots of brands/models of helmets I can't wear because my glasses won't fit properly.
  14. The irony being me previous Shark Helmet was the worst I've had for getting sunglasses into. You could do it, but it was uncomfortable
  15. i know your old and that, but has it been so long since you last bought a helmet that you don't know that the foam moulds to your face? it doesn't stay that tight forever.
  16. you DID read this, I presume...

I DID notice that with the first helmet I bought in 1974 :roll:
  17. I thought many of the newer helmets have plenty of 'ear space' for the placement of in-helmet speakers. To the extent that some of them force my glasses to be on an awkward position that's slightly higher than usual. I'll have to fiddle with the helmet 'angle' on my head so that it all lines up right and I don't get dizzy from looking through. =/
  18. When Takami coming out with a prescrption visor?
    • Like Like x 1
  19. TonyE

I agree on the Nolan flip front. Best helmet I have worn for glasses wearing. I have had a couple of Nolans and I am about to buy another due to an off. Very comfy but not that quiet, however. Very flexible to add things such as speakers or intercom.

Nolan seem to be good on R&D and constantly improving. Helmets have improved enormously over the time I have been riding, just like bikes. But like many products, I suspect some companies have never heard of concepts like User Centred Design, product testing or customer focus. It doesn't have to be expensive - a simple test session on prototypes with a varied bunch of riders could make a big difference.

I guess that's what makes some brands successful - just making a bit of an effort. In my work, I am often amazed how many people don't bother to talk to customers, ask them what they want then deliver the features they can.

Let's face it, wearing glasses is nothing unusual - in fact as we bikers age, perhaps it is the norm.

...going blind slowly...
  20. couldn't have said it better myself, exchange Vemar for Nolan and that's my case exactly