Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

White mark in oil window

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Org, May 24, 2008.

1. Hello,

I have just been performing a few checks on my bike (2000 Ducati Monster 750) and noticed the oil window has a large white smudge inside it. I can see the oil behind the smudge and that looks ok.

I have owned this bike for about 2 months and have been using it daily for my 20km commute to the city

(sorry about the poor quality photo)

I did a bit of an internet search and found some info that suggested that this can happen on Ducatis if used for short trips in the cold and it isn't something to be concerned about,

I am planning to go for a decent ride tomorrow and am interested if people agree with this diagnosis or have other ideas?

Thanks for any assistance
  2. I'd say it's water in your oil. This can be just condensation and that small amount will exit via crank case breather as vapor. Or it could be a symptom of a bigger problem....
  3. I like your first idea..

what might the bigger problem be?
  4. There is a leak somewhere between the water circuit and the oil circuit. Great for making choccy milk shakes, not so good for your motor. You don't want that though, so we'll stick with the condensation theory ok?

Seriously though, has your coolant level been going down? Is there more milkiness under the oil cap? Are you comfortable with dumping your oil to check it?
  5. :rofl: @ Devotard, and agree with him completely. You haven't been high-pressure washing the poor baby, have you?
  6. Bearing in mind that I arent the most mechanically minded person,

The water circuit you refer to, is that the cooling system? This Ducati isnt water cooled
  7. As a general rule my bikes get washed about as often as it rains in Melbourne... :)
  8. Then the odds of that being your bigger problem have gone down substantially (and I look like an idiot). :LOL:

You've got some condensation, and a decent ride should boil it off. Change your oil if you're nervous about it though.
  9. :grin:

Thanks for the help devotard, I probably should have mentioned the air cooled thing in the opening post...
  10. it's just condensation in teh crankcase. The long ride will do it good, any high performance engine doesn;t really get thoroughly warm on cold mornings and 20km commutes.

Regards, Andrew.
  11. Id say cracked header!
  12. I'll fix it for free but it will take me a week :LOL: