Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

White lines and their effect on cornering...

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by lotus7, Jul 5, 2006.

1. I had an interesting experience yesterday while on my blast through the hills. Going down some country back road, the white lines suddenly ceased to exist - as in no center line, no road edge markers. The next corner I found myself going very wide :shock: , and the next after that too. It seems ive been basing my corner siting on the existence of the white lines :? Took me a minute or two to adjust and then all was well.

Even though im not consciously looking at the lines they seem to affect how I line up for a corner. Anyone else experienced this or aware of this phenomenon?

2. definitely.

i take advantage of it to pull wider/nicer lines (IMO).

as long you allow yourself enough time, distance, speed
    to pull in for any oncoming traffic,
    and look out for anyone attempting to undertake you,
    it shouldn't be a problem.

basically,
    if you are not comfortable with how far you can see through the corner,
    then you should pull in.

3. Yeah, out past Noojee the white line disappears and I love to use the whole road. Going wide on the entry of blind lefties is actually safer, you can see much further through the corner if you're going at a quick clip, you get more warning if something's coming the other way.

4. Sounds crazy to me - can't see myself doing it! Crossing over is a pet hate of mine, as too many times have I nearly been wiped out by some idiot doing it.

That said, if you're talking about Icy Creek Rd then it's only about one lane wide anyway, so it's a moot point. :p

5. Extra care really needed in this case. On the Wollombi road north of Sydney we have a stretch of about 20k's that is 1.5 lanes wide, twisty and surrounded by cliff(up on one side, down on the other). It is very easy to take up a lot of lane and get collected by the farmer coming the other way in his ute doing 80. One of our blokes found this out almost the hard way a few weeks ago. I was behind him and watched his mirror miss the mirror on the car by about an inch with both car and bike doing about 60.

If anything, I would slow down and take the corner a little wider all the way through but watch out for gravel that might have been thrown to the outside of the bend.

6. I know what you mean, but think about it - the wider out you are, the further you can see around the corner. If it's a blind right hander, you can see the furthest from the extreme left, which is why the correct road line is 'stay wide, turn in late.'

It works the same on a left hander - if you're right over the other side of the road, you get to see around that corner much further. If there's something coming the other way, you're well placed to jump back over the left of the centre and out of trouble, all you do is turn in earlier than you would if it was clear.

The dangerous one is crossing the centre line on a blind right hander - a classic sign of going too fast, shitting yourself and turning in too early, which means you apex with your head or your bike well over into the oncoming lane with bugger-all vision through the corner.

And if you're going the opposite way to somebody in that position, and you're out wide in his oncoming lane, you get to see each other much earlier and take action.

That's why I don't mind moving out to overtake a car coming up to a left hander, but I won't do it if the corner up ahead is a righty. It's all about how far down the road you can see.

7. The only effect white lines have had on my cornering is to be very slippery and make me lose the back end and stack! :shock:

8. I always stay on my side of the road on the entry, and apex of a corner and assume that there is something coming the other way unless I am very sure that there is nothing... and even then I only use my own side of the road. I don't get surprised by oncoming traffic and I never have to alter my line through the corner. Using the whole road doesn't demonstrate skill.. it demonstrates lack of it IMHO.