Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Whining noise

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by hornet, Jan 15, 2006.

1. No, not what you think :LOL:

Since I had a new chain and sprockets fitted to the Hornet a week ago, I am noticing a pronounced whining noise that was not there before.

It doesn't sound like a friction noise, but it is speed-related. I thought maybe it might just be the new chain bedding in but I don't remember that happening when I've changed chains on other bikes.

On the up-side, at the service where the chain was changed we discovered that the fuse on the thermo-fan was kaput, so now it is working in hot weather, a great relief....
  2. kick the missus off the back mate and it will stop :p :LOL:
  3. Oh, I thought you had visited the airport, and wondered what the noise was when the engines were turned off after a British Airways jet had landed.
  4. who fitted the chain?? is it aligned correctly ??
  5. It was fitted by Trevor Jordan's, where I bought the bike and where it's been serviced, everything else they've done has been ok.

I can check that myself, so tomorrow morning I'll roll it out and have a look, thanks.....
  6. Sure it's not just regular new chain/sprocket whine at higher speeds? Chains/sprockets seem to take a few hundred kays to properly bed in, and it may just be that. Is the chain/sprocket of a different brand to what you're normally used to?
  7. I have no idea what the brand of the previous kit was, but the new chain is a 525 O-Ring job, sprockets are steel, nothing fancy. It's the first change of chain/sprockets I've done on this bike (only bought it in March)

I'm hoping it is just a 'bedding in' sound, because I can't think of much else it could be.......
  8. Just a quick check, are the rollers rolling freely?
  9. Yes, Ive spun it round and looked carefully are there are no 'tight' spots.....

{is that what you mean?}
  10. No, not quite.

The little cylindrical bits that touch the sprocket itself are called the "rollers". They should spin freely if you put your finger onto the chain and run your finger across them. If they don't spin at all, they'll be rotating/grinding on the sprocket itself making a nice screech/whine, or alternately they are poorly lubricated and whining as they roll stiffly around the axle in the chain pin link that they're meant to roll on.
  11. I'll check that in the morning as well, thanks mate! I'm doing the Jindabyne run with greenguzzi and co on the weekend and I want to have everything 'just right'.
  12. What is this chain and sprocket you talk of?

And why are you whining? :p

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
  13. Boo Hiss, you shaft-driven Pharisee!!!!!! :LOL: :LOL: