Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Which Uni?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by QuarterWit, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Hey Guys!

Four years ago I dropped out of Uni back in Sydney.

Now I'm working full time, and am hoping to start a BA in humanities, history or something like that. Nothing too exciting, just one unit per semester, enrolling mid year. Eventually I'm hoping to change to full time, and then do a dip ed.

I work in the CBD and live in Richmond.

Now, for the tricky bit. I'm looking for a uni that that either schedules lectures and tutes outside work hours, or has them in larger blocks so I can get a day off work a week. (Work are very flexible in that regard).

Where would you recommend?
  2. Have a look at Open Universities Australia. I am doing a Bach of Behavioural Studies through them. Works well because they have 4 study periods per year rather than 2 semesters. Even if you start with them with most units you can get credits when transferring to full time study.

Other suggestion is to check out Macquarie University as they have a great external student set up. Mac Uni also has EDU units available through Open Uni's to get you started.

Good luck with it, if you want any other info PM me.

3. PS you should probably post this in Off Topic as this is supposed to be for bike related general stuff.
  4. Have you looked into distance learning/online courses?
    I've actually got a friend doing her dip ed at UNE and she's doing that via distance learning.
  5. Thanks for the heads up Sirian, mods, can you move this to the correct section please? :grin:

I've tried doing distance stuff... and failed badly. Nothing wrong with it, and for a lot of people it works very well, but I do a lot better in the environment of study, y'know?
  6. It takes serious time management to do it all at home, admittedly.

Definitely call Macquarie then because I was able to attend evening lectures and weekend intensives.
  7. Given that you are in MELBOURNE..... MacQuarie Uni will be a waste of time.

I would be looking at Swinburne. YOu are obviously not that far from it and they also run courses through all 4 semester (ie. Semester 1, Winter Term, Semster 2 & Summer Term). They offer courses day and night, etc, etc.

Good luck with it.
  8. I saw Sydney, then Richmond and presumed it was here.

Thanks for the SUBTLE hint :)
  9. How does it take more time management skills to do it at home, without having to worry about travel etc?
  10. Swinburne is definately the closest.

you can try doing a tafe subject that will let you progress to a Bach.
    Its like doing 1/2 a Bach course and you get a diploma, then do the remaining 1/2 and get a Bach.

Not sure if they do that for Arts degree
  11. Moved to Off Topic :wink:.
  12. Because there are far too many distractions at home, especially if you're not alone. 'Work' of any sort, is a lot easier to stick at in a suitable work environment. Which is also one of the main reasons why students shouldn't try to write essays in front of the telly.
  13. Hear hear!

That's why I'm currently on Netrider and not doing the essay on 'Interactive Entertainment' that I should be doing.

Stoopid online subjects. What were they thinking?

"What do we want?"
    "When do we want it?"

14. ok, my bro lives in japan. works fulltime and then some and has commenced a masters through....ah, fcuk! i seem to have forgotten the uni :shock:

*scratches head*
  15. Studying from home isnt hard. I work fulltime, now single mum to a 4yo boy AND learning how to ride lol It just means being strict with your time. I spend 2 hours every week night on uni which leaves the weekends free, unless I have an assignment.