Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Which tools for a beginner?

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by Maccarossi, Apr 22, 2011.

1. Hi Guys,

Just wondering if someone could recommend some tools/products for someone purchasing there first bike?

Nothing drastic just whatever is needed to perform basic maintenance and up keep of a bike? In this case the bike is a Suzuki GS500F
  2. Your better off looking at what you need and getting quality ones of those than buying a shoite load of rubbish.
    A T bar and 8,10,11 & 12, and 13mm sockets. Also get a mutiple flat and phillips head set for the T bar.
    Open ended spanners in 14,15,17,19 and 21mm. Check your axle nut for the larger ones. Most are between 17 and 23mm. And lastly an allen key that fits your needs.
    A T bar set is a god send for working on bikes.
  3. ring/open spanners, screwdrivers, allen keys.
    quality of what you buy is IMO more important than WHAT you buy

don't worry about buying stuff like snap-on, sure it's quality but the price is just ridiculous

eh brett beat me to it
  4. If its not already included in the toolkit...

What i do is go over the bike and have a look and make note of sizes of bolts etc and buy the tools that are most used throughout the bike as each bike may be different.
  5. 10 12 14 17 19 22 ring or open end spanners will do just about all the things you can do roadside, chuck in a phillips and common screw driver plus a small selection of allen keys..and a few spare fuses.
    Seriously with the GS500 the tool kit is just a tad more weight over the rear wheel..you should only need to break it out to pull the drive chain tight. :)
  6. Kincrome is pretty good, reasonably high quality but not as expensive as Sidchrome.

They have a full catalog on the web: http://www.kincrome.com.au, and the good thing is that it's available at Bunnings and they can order in anything they don't have in stock.
  7. a set of nunchucks.
    i know, obviously.
    but thought it worth a mention in case you have'nt got some yet.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Kincrome stuff looks good actually, might be time i just invest in a 200-300 piece set finally, always needing tools and can never find em.

Nunchucks though....... Certainly next on the list, what else would i use to fix the nagging issue of a ninja turtle trying to steal my bike...
  9. Ah one tool no one has suggested that is really important. A tyre pressure gauge. All the ones at the servo's are different. And the ones you buy.
    But if you use the same one all the time your bags will be consistent. Which helps make the bike consistent. And I prefer my Luke Skywalker light saber for fighting off ninja cane toads trying to steal my bike. Also stops tossers trying to change lanes on me.
  10. Buy every tool that you know how to operate.
  11. I could rather flippantly add, a working mobile phone :LOL:

seriously, I was going to suggest a tyre pressure guage too.
  12. Got my iPhone so thats sorted :p

Didn't think of a tyre pressure gauge though thats a great idea.
  13. Tyre pressure gauge, some brushes, kero, chain lube and a small tool kit. My home kit is a cresent 148 piece kit from Bunnings. Nothing special, but I haven't had anything break on it yet.

The only thing I found missing in my GS500's tool kit was a 8mm socket for the front sproket cover, other than that most basic maintenance can be done with it.
  14. Pop a small torch in there too so you can see what you're doing.
  15. The iPhone will do small torch ok. It will also tell people where you've been and when for the last couple of years, apparently...

The last big thing for professional spanner twiddlers was an account at snap-on. I believe the latest thing is to stroll through cash converters and the local pawnshops, looking for 1950 ~ 1970 vintage Sidchrome tools... Pretty? Not exactly, but really, really good strong tools. They were built for a life-time warranty, and they damn well meant it. The stuff sidchrome makes today is not real bad, it's ok, but the old made-in-australia stuff was the duck's guts.
  16. Yeah the torch on my iPhone should be plenty when im out and about, have a pretty decent LED torch at home too that I use for work :)
  17. phone torches are massive fail. how will you hold the phone upright when you need to see something while using both hands on whatever you're messing with??
  18. yeah, a key ring led torch will last for yonks, easy to position and wont eat your phones' battery.
  19. Total Tools Industries (TTI) make some good tools. Life time warranty at a cheaper price than the more popular brands. Bought my tools when they were on special which made it even cheaper and none have failed on me yet :D.