Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Which Route Into Melbourne?

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' started by jimmythehuman, Aug 27, 2012.

1. I am a weekend rider but i need to commute into Melb for the next 3 weeks while the car is the smash repairs.

I have the Eastlink/Eastern or the Monash or the Nepean to choose from.

For some one who doesnt commute on the bike normally, is one route better or safer or easier than the other?

Do people bother wearing hivis when going in before the sun comes up?
  2. What time?
  3. Between 6.30am-7am and then out again 4-4.30pm
  4. Where in Melbourne do you need to end up?
  5. Eastern would be preferable to napean IMO, though paying for eastlink is a bit of a biatch.

Eastern flows better than Monash (though at that time of day maybe monash is ok)

Eastern gives you a transit lane on the way in

From the eastern you can use the Hoddle St bus lane if you need to head south to reach the CBD (I used to go hoddle st -> albert st and wind up on Lonsdale st)

6. If you want to save money, take the Monash. It should still be good in the morning, heading home might be a little bit more crowded. If you filter, then you should be fine.

Eastern is good too however you are technically traveling past the city and then head back down into the city. Depending which side of the city you need to be this may be an advantage/disadvantage

So take Monash for south end of city and Eastern for North end.

Can't comment on the Napean, but I'd imagine it'd be stop and go as you get closer into the city.
  7. I need to to the Melb Uni area so Eastern is fine in the car. Just wondered if one was better than the other on the bike...i rarely see anyone with hivis stuff on, but before sunrise it would make sense...why dont many folk do it?
  8. I wear hi-vis before sunrise and after sunset. If you're in stop start traffic I think it might make the difference between being rear-ended and not (I don't filter, so being rear ended is a risk).

Lots of reasons why people don't - I'd suggest you search for other threads rather than entering into it here, unless you've received all the input you want on the question of routes :)

BTW are you _THE_ Jimmy the human? If so, what do you ride and how the hell do you carry your guitar with you? (And you were the best on the blues train when I saw you there last year!)
  9. Respect = lost.
  10. oh noes!

11. Hi vis won't help you when the idiot behind you isn't paying attention because they are too busy looking at their phone texting to their boss that they will be late.

They can't see you if they aren't looking, regardless of what you wear.
  12. As with most things in life, it depends.

One of the risks associated with after-dark rear endings is the motorcycle "disappearing into the car in front". If you're riding in one of the wheel tracks (as you usually should), and if your brake light is the same height as the brake light of the vehicle in front, then to any vehicles behind it can appear that the bike is not there, and that they have a gap up until where they estimate the car to be based on the distance between the brake lights.

I should point out that it's not actually hi-viz neon but retro-reflective material that can help combat this. But anything that makes it evident that you are NOT the brakelight of the car in front of you has the ability to lower the risk of being rear ended due to optical interpretation errors such as disappearing.

It won't help you if the driver behind you is distracted or not concentrating. Best defense there is either to have a white helmet and do your best impersonation of an unmarked police bike, or to put on 40 kgs, grow a beard, and do your best impersonation of the Sons of Anarchy. I tend to alternate between the two - thug by day, cop by night.
  13. My best solution to this, is when I approach the traffic lights knowing it is red and a car is following far behind, I weave slightly in my lane until I stop. Once I stop I tap my brakes until the person behind me has stopped. It has made a difference during night time driving, that's wearing black gear. To avoid it all together, I filter to the front...
  14. Concur - the best solution for avoiding being rear-ended in stop start traffic is filtering, based on the findings of the MAIDS report. I am continuing to push for filtering to become explicitly legalised and encouraged as a desirable practice for motorcyclists to adopt.

(Edit: I also tap my brake light as a vehicle is approaching me from behind and I am stationary - again, it's free, so why not do it?)

In the mean time, my retro-reflective vest helps, and has cost me nothing apart from Dougz's respect. We're all big boys and girls, we make our own choices.
  15. I am not the muscian, though i have been using this name for as long as him.

I will get the hivis for pre dawn, much prefer to be not squashed than trendy looking. I noticed a few guys, usually on sports tourers wearing it and they catch my eye from 20 cars away...has to be good.
  16. If you have a ventura touring bag, top box or something similar, wearing Hi Vis won't help much as far as people behind you seeing you.
  17. but that's because you are alert and concentrating. Average joe blow in their cager are probably fumbling with something and only looking ahead hoping traffic would bloody move.

Nothing wrong with wearing it though :)...as long as you are calm, collected and watch out for idiots...it'll be also enjoyable.
  18. I usually take monash into punt rd in the morning. And eastern and eastlink on the way home.