Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Which riders course?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by jimmythehuman, Mar 15, 2006.

1. I want to start learning some good habits before winter sets in and was thinking of doing the superbike school level 1 April 24th - but its $380 :(

Anyone got any suggestions for learning cornering properly? Or is superbike school the only real option?

I am not interested in learning any racing styles, only to ride as smooth as possible i will build on speed over time as i gain more experience...

Any suggestions on who the best Melbourne provider is?

2. Jimmy, I got a great deal out of Level 1. Indeed a lot of people say that they do Level 1 twice, and get more out of that than Level 2. I would love to go back and redo it, cos it was a long time ago and although I try to practice all I learnt on that day, you do forget. It will be the best $380 you spend. It gives you heaps of skills for riding more safely on the roads - do it!
  3. superbike school are pretty good, but the courses are expensive as you say.

I recommend doing a few trackdays instead, you learn heaps about cornering and your own and your bikes capabilities.

If you dead set on on a course tho HART intermediate or advanced 1 are only $200 odd
  4. Forget the dosh...just do the course :)...it's worth it and you won't regret it.
  5. Jimmy, I recently went to rider brothers up at calder park and did their advanced cornering/knee down course. bit cheaper than superbikes, and they're really friendly guys. i got heaps out of it, might be worth a look for you?
  6. I like the CSS so much, I'm doing level 4 on the 24th April.
    There are a few other netriders also going that day. :cool:
  7. With respect, I don't see the sense in this. If you go out there with no idea you are more likely to mess up, and quite possibly just reinforce whatever bad habits you already have.
    Yes, Superbike school are expensive, but you do get a lot for the money, including riding The Island, which - trust me - is worth a premium.
    I would not dismiss other training providers however, because I don't know about them. Obviously other people have had good experiences with them.
    Jimmy, if you do go to PI on the 24th, I'll see you down there.
    Might be a couple of other netriders, too. :grin:
  8. I actually did all the HART courses before I went to CSS. In hindsight, IMHO, I may have been better off doing the CSS first so as to start out with the "right skills" in terms of cornering, from the beginning, rather than unlearn old habits.
    That said, I felt the HART taught me valuable safety skills.
    Don't forget the Yarra Ranges (Council) instructed on road rides. See other threads on this.

Ces't la vie.
  9. I was thinking about doing Superbike school as well, or maybe the H.A.R.T 6 & 7, 8 & 9. But I don't know whats involved in H.A.R.T.
    Can anyone who has done H.A.R.T let me know what they do in the day?
  10. My apologies, I didn't know you'd already read that.
    From memory, it was based off the road and at Tullamarine. At the advanced levels they go to the race track. Most of the riding was at road speed or less at Tulla.
    It's been a while for me, but I recall doing things like an emergency stop with a virtual U-turn to the left or right depending on which light went on.
    Straight line emergency stops at road speed.
    Emergency stops where you lock the front wheel on grass to get a feel for a skid.
    A timed exercise that involved doing an oversized figure of 8.
    Some very slow speed riding around close witches' hats and then along a sinlge wooden plank.
    At the track level there was a free for all at the end, where you could go as fast as you like. They may not do this anymore as it was pre 9/11.

HTH :)
  11. I dont need any training on low speed stuff like skids, or figure 8s or u turns or anythng like that i have aall the basic handling skills. I really want to do some work on cornering.

I think i will try the yarra ranges one as its cheaper and see if wife come good for super bike school as a birthday present or something.

Might even see if i can bribe one of the gurus around here to come for a ride with me and give me pointers in exchange for lunch :)
  12. I would highly reccomend doing some sort of cornering course before hitting the track.

I just did the california riding track day down at PI on Monday and as much as l loved doing it, l knew then while on the track taht if l had of done that cornering course l would been a lot more relaxed on the track for sure
  13. Also, it might help you to personally justify the expense, if you think about where it's being held.

A track day at PI will cost you $180-200 normally.

Might help you to think of it really as $190 for the education, and $190 for the track-day at PI, if that is of any assistance in helping you to justify the expense of it.

Just go and do it though, and if you, above all else, listen to what they're telling you and just do the exercises that they set.

Once you've done that, THEN go an book yourself in for a track day after that, and cut loose.
  14. The HART 6&7 and 8&9 courses are more for over all bike control skills and to make you a safer road rider. You practice emergency braking and counter steering, slow speed control(u turns etc) and cornering lines. Its quite varied and you do heaps of cornering.

The CSS lvl 1 is mainly about throttle control and cornering lines and how to take corners.

Stuff the expense they are both well worth the money. Alot more worth while than a louder pipe or other mods as the skills go with you to your next bike and you will get more out of what you have.
  15. you don't see the sense in how doing a trackday will improve your cornering :roll:
    consider this then, at a trackday everyone is going in the same direction around the circuit, you don't have to worry about cars, you don't have to worry about any dangers around the next corner, you don't have to worry about stuff on the road or uneven road surface, you can see all the way through the corner.
    The only thing you need to concentrate on is your cornering, it eliminates all the other things that can distract you from cornering properly, so there is no reason why you should not improve.
  16. Slammer, you are assuming that a rider has the given skills to corner correctly in the first place...were that the case then you would be correct for sure.
    But if a rider does'nt really have an understanding of how to corner correctly in the first place...a track day won't help them much.
    In my own case, a track day would have been great, except that I would have missed out on what the cornering school teaches....
    And now if I hit a track day, I am armed with the knowledge I need to improve my riding more.
  17. your taught how to corner when you do both your L's and P's courses. if you don't have the skills required to corner correctly after doing these courses then you should not have passed them.

Don't get me wrong the school day does help, but you can do 2 trackdays for the cost of 1 school day. personally having done both i think you learn more from 2 trackdays.
  18. Your L's and P's course teach you the basics of riding a bike, they do not teach you how to corner correctly. Do yourself a big favour and do the course.
    I found if you just want to do a track day here and there, level 1 is enough. After level 1, for me the money was better spent on a few track days instead of doing the next levels.

If you want to corner faster and safer, do the course!