Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

which R1 engines are interchangeable?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by ex-static, Dec 27, 2011.

1. does anyone which yamaha R1 model engines are interchangeable?.. i'm wondering if i can put (or shoehorn) a later model engine into my 2001 R1?.. cheers

2. with enough cash, anything

3. Can I ask why? If it were me, I'd go for the earlier one, with its more aggressive power delivery (and more of it), as opposed to the later versions that got more and more civilised, with the power moving up into the higher end of the rev range.

Or go whole hog, and aim for the glorious sounding cross plane crank version. But that's just me, and no, I've not got the faintest idea what would actually bolt in.

4. unless youve blown yours up,
    spend the money on getting some machining done, new cams. and high compression pistons or big bore

5. just out of curiosity - what kind of cam profile would move the power lower in the rev range?

6. .. i don't have an existing engine - just a 2001 rolling chassis that i want to put an engine into...

7. to be honest im not shure, for this sort of stuff i refer customers to the workshop

8. You want a cam profile that opens and closes faster, with the intake valve closing earlier than you have now. But with cams you have to remember you never gain everywhere. If you gain it low, you have lost it up high.

9. that would be fine by me :)