Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

which petrol best for v-twin

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by dje, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Just wondering which petrol is better for a V-twin (if it makes much/any difference!)..?

Recently got my first V-twin, a 2000 model vtr firestorm and about to fill it up.

2. I've just bought the GT650 and the guy said it ran best on BP Ultimate 98 which is my preferred PULP anyway.
  3. The firestorms have relatively low compression. They'll run fine on any fuel but obviously best on whatever they're jetted for specifically. For me that's 98 octane premium as mine has K&N, HRC jet kit and pipes.
  4. I find I get equal economy and power from regular fuel but my bike feels a lot smoother on ultimate/optimax.
  5. My sv will run on any unleaded, but i use BP or caltex 98, or mobile PULP at a pinch. Don't use shell......
  6. :WStupid:

:grin: :grin: :grin:

I like that emoticon!
  7. Thanks for the replies!
    I think ill try 95 oct just incase...

8. I use 98 octane in my Duke and preferably the BP Ultimate, which unfortunately today is at $1.37 at my local.
  9. Funny. Everyone recommends and uses 98 and the bloke goes for the 95 :roll:
  10. Congrats on the VTR purchase dje. They are a great bike. They would have to be one of the most idiot-proof, best bang for your buck bikes you can buy.

I have run mine on everything from canola oil to diesel, and they don't miss a beat. I haven't tried OP rum yet as it seems such a waste to pour it into the VTR's tank rather than myself.

But on a serious note, they will run on anything in a ping, but it will feel SLIGHTLY better on any premium. You will also get SLIGHTLY better fuel economy with the premium grades. I won't hesitate to fill it up on regular if there is nothing else available though.

Good luck with it mate, Mark.
  11. Congrats on the purchase. For all the answers to questions about the FireStorm head on over to www.ozfirestorm.com.

Look forward to seeing you there. :grin: