Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Which one? America,Tiger,CBF1000F or 1100/1300 V-Star.

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by AusSteve, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Hi everyone, I'm finally getting off my sports bike, Triumph Daytona 955i; & looking for a cruiser or tourer that is very pillion passenger comfy? The wife is very keen on having her legs either vertical from the knee down or forward but not bent backwards. It would seem to me to be between the Honda CBF1000F, Triumph America/Speedmaster which the wife used to own & therefore would also ride, Triumph Tiger or the Yamaha V-Star 1100 or 1300.
    We are planning a ride later in the year from Coffs Harbour To Adelaide & back via Melbourne, the wives only doing the Melbourne to Adelaide leg on bikes.
    I am somewhat drawn to shaft drive for the maintenance side of things and the larger motors of the 1100 & 1300 bikes. However we certainly had no problems when the wife owned the Speedmaster either.
    Questions I have are how easily would the 865c.c. America handle two up touring & how comfortably? What are the leg positions & comfort like for pillions on a CBF1000F & Tiger?
    Unfortunately our local Honda dealer doesnt have any CBF1000F's, the Triumph/Yamaha dealer has no second hand or demo Tigers or Yamahas'.
    We're looking at spending up to $11000.00
    Could I have your objective comments & thoughts on these bikes please?

2. Faced with a similar quandary a few years back I ended up with a Suzuki GSX1400. I have had this bike for nearly 6 years and I'm still loving it. You might find, as I did, that the forward pegs on a cruiser might be a bit limited for ground clearance after riding sports bikes.
  3. For what you're looking for, the GSX1400 should definitely be on the list.
  4. I would go with the V-star, reliable, widely supported and popular, torque and overall looks. Bigger is better in my opinion.
  5. The Varadero does indeed look good - and might well come within your price range, even new, if there are deep discounts on offer. Your partner might need a stepladder to climb aboard (jokes), but apparently it's massively comfortable for touring, and goes pretty will all around.

I guess the other options are the big tourers like some of the BMWs, the ST1300, GT and things like that (no, NOT a Goldwing!)
  6. If you're coming off a Daytona and went to a cruiser you'd have an excellent chance of crashing it by digging in the footboards trying to go around an actual corner...
  7. Have you looked at a used V-Max? since you coming from a Daytona. Performance and cornering should still be good.
  8. Splendid idea.

Great for pillions, those V-Maxes.
  9. Hi AznCruiser, V-Max are way outside my meagre budget, but I agree a good all round bike.
    Thanks, Steve
  10. Hi Bravus, yeah I am aware of the need to modify my riding style, but the XYL had a Speedmaster that I used to ride & thanks to a lot of years of riding & good mates I ride a wide range of bikes. Unfortunately none of the mates have any of the bikes I am looking at. lol
    Maybe have to find some new mates????????/

11. I think you could pick up a used one within your budget.

Year: 1988
    KM: 27650
    Engine: 1200cc
    Description:Muscle with a Capital V. The Iconic V-Max Full Spec 145 BHP, Great Condition. Own A Classic Today.

12. Sure do. I just came back from a trip accompanied by a big 'Dero and I am impressed. They are big and heavy but the package works well together and we could not gap him. And at the end of the day he was fresh and relaxed when everyone else was mashed.
  13. Thanks everyone for the valuable input, I'm currently leaning toward a Honda Varadero. Seems the only downside is that it is a bit too tall for the XYL to ride but I guess it's hard enough getting a bike to tick all the boxes for one rider never mind two riders.
    Now to sell the Triumph Daytona 955i

Cheers, Steve