Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Which OILS

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Sir Skuffy, Oct 4, 2004.

1. Hey all,

I own a gsx1400 and was wondering which is the best oil to run in these bikes. They are a big-bore oil cooled motor.... Do I want fully synthetic or a synthetic blend..? Also, remembering that summer is coming along and we are going to get those hot days..

Thanks in advance

2. Is there any specs in your manual? Can you give Suzuki Australia or your dealer a call?

I've been told to run synthetic except for the run in period is the best way to go but probably best to check your manual or the manufacturer to be sure.
  3. I only use fully synth and have never had a problem. You could use a blend and find that to be fine too but I'd check with Suzi and perhaps search the forum, I'm sure we went through this a while back.
  4. Most bikes are recommended to use synth. (well the bigger ones do).
    Generally speaking it lengthens the life of the engine but at the cost of a higher priced oil and greater oil consumption as the engine ages. It usually contributes a small power increase.

Given that most riders average only 5000 k a year I'd recommend synth. Those that commute/couriers would probably go for a more viscous oil to reduce top up's and running costs.
  5. Over 80,000km in just under 3 years. Never needed an oil top-up, other than full change at every 6,000km service. I'll spend a few extra $$'s 4-5 times a year to keep "my precious" (best smeegle voice :D ) in tip-top condition.

My dealer has always used Shell Advance VSX4
  6. i used shell fully-synthetic last change and havent had a problem with it