Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Which martial art?

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by Farab, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Hi All, I am thinking of taking up martial arts in order to learn a new skill, as well as getting in shape. As someone that has no clue about martial arts (let alone the different styles within a discipline) , I would appretiate some suggestions on which would possibly be suitable. I thought something that teaches both bare hands (no weapons) and weapons as an added "extra" would be quite versatile. Any suggestions?

2. Drunken Irish pub brawling :LOL:

3. I've done a couple of years of both tae kwon do and karate, and enjoyed both. We also trained with a jiujitsu guy at our karate dojo, and I was very impressed with the 'soft' blocks and stuff he could do that would basically negate a lot of our karate attacks.

I think a lot more than choosing a particular martial art it's about finding the right dojo and teacher. Think 'Karate Kid'. ;) There are macho asshole senseis out there, but they're generally going to make your training a misery and often are going to teach you the wrong thing. Ironically, finding a gentle (but knowledgable and committed) teacher is best, IMO.

Oh, taekwon do doesn't do a lot of weapons stuff but many karate schools and styles to. I don't know a lot about kung fu and other styles, but hopefully others here do and can comment.

4. Thanks mate!

5. If you really want to get into shape take traditional boxing or kickboxing, farking workout!!

6. I did seven years of Muay Thai and Freestyle Karate and the reason I stopped is because of a new "gentle" teaching style.... I found that you learn a whole lot faster when you can (and do) get hurt and it also becomes instinct alot quicker.

To many nambi-pambi's out the that really need to harden the fcuk up.

I do agree about finding the right instructor and the "marcho asshole" factor though.

In the end, visit a few places and see what fits you best, basic self defence is valuable for anyone to know.

7. also get your self a broom stick and watch a few episode of Monkey Magic :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

8. You'll need some seriously good drugs to get the flying pink cloud thing to work though.

9. Yeah a bit of Piggy fighting goes a long way down the pub on a saturday night!

I have done muay thai and judo over the years and I would echo Bravus setiments above it is the VIBE of the Dojo and Sensai that matters not the form or style.

10. I did tae-kwon-do and jiujitsu for about 4 years when I was younger (I WAS a black belt, not that I would know what to do with it any more...).

Of all the martial arts I have seen I would probably go for jiujitsu, good mix of activity and the up-close stuff.

Good fun :)

11. So maye good ol' karate a good place to start, but essential to find a level headed sensei? Can't stand knuckle draggers anyway!

12. #12 Loz, Apr 17, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
  13. Aikido

14. #14 Clairebear, Apr 17, 2008
    I like the fact that he adds his own sound FX.
    "when I kick him in the head - BONG BONG BONG!"

:LOL:

Seriously though - you should do a little bit of research and have a think about what kind of movements you'd like to do. Whether or not you want to learn to use weapons, whether you like kicking or punching or grappling.... But I'm not going to tell you whether I think one is better than the other, or if one's crap- because it's all a moot argument and it really boild down to what you "mesh" with.

Most places also offer one or two free lessons so you can pop along and get a "taste".

15. As said before, all depends on what you really want.

Fitness and basic skills, go for kick boxing or boxing or Capoeira

Realistic street defence, look at things like Aikido, Hapkido, Krav maga, Ju Jitsu - look for martial arts that include locks and grappling if you can

16. #16 Ktulu, Apr 17, 2008
  17. Oh I agree, it's all about the BONG BONG BONG. So perhaps the question should be, which martial art gives me the most BONG BONG for my money? :LOL:

18. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: Loz, that guy is funny, but actually seems quite practical.

Well, I don't know what I like really, never gave it much thought. Looks like Karate, Aikido and maybe Ju Jitsu is worth a look into.