Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Which lane is the best? Also headchecking question

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Whippet, Aug 28, 2006.

1. Hi everyone,

I've heard that it's best to stay in the left on freeways however this can't be safe where there is an off ramp - where drivers may drift over into you. What's the general opinion. I'm also having trouble getting good vision checking my blind spot because of helmet/jacket and postural restrictions (my arms feel like they are in the way). Any ideas on correcting this potential problem?

2. I avoid the left lane if approaching part of the motorway where other vehicles are joining the motorway traffic.
  3. Thanks Ed. Does this also apply to exit ramps?
  4. The best lane to use is the one with common sense.

There could be maniacs who are tailgating on the right cause that's the fast lane and no 100kph is not going fast. :roll:

The middle lane where you are in more chance of being sideswiped on either side cause some moron driver on the phone couldn't be bothered indicating or doing a head check and when they swerve into you and finally notice you they swear "you must've doing warp speed to appear all the sudden like that". :roll:

The left lane where the cars need to turn off so let's slow down to 70kph cause they need to be certain they'll get off at the offramp and who cares about the cars behind who have to jam on their brakes. Or the cars that need to merge but hey, it's a fast moving traffic, so slow down cause we might be able to see a spot to pull in.."woah there!" in front of the semi that's needs at least 10kms to slow down :roll:

Which of the lanes do you feel the most safe?

As to your blind spot, usually a quick head check will tell you whether something is there or not. I don't think you'd need to worry about what colour or make of the vehicle, as long as you know that there may be a vehicle there. You might be having trouble because you might be too tense to allow yourself to head check efficiently?
  5. Keep as close to the center as possible, rule of thumb but as said above use your head.
  6. Left lane, just make sure you aren't in a drivers blind spot or right next to them.

That lessens your chances of being side swiped enough.
  7. RIGHT LANE. And only right lane. Its the Australian way.

Guide to driving in Australia: always stay in right lane, unless you want to turn left. Even if you are going 20km/hr under the limit you still should be in the right lane. That way if people want to get past you they have to weave through traffic.

All roads in this country shoule only be 1 lane, because 99% of people are too stupid to keep left, so with only one lane there wouldnt be a problem.

I need a drink.
  8. The one that gives you the most space, the further you are from anything else the better.
  9. The emergency lane :LOL: Nice and clear most of the time, a little bit of crap in there sometimes, but all up, a mostly clear run :grin: :p :wink:

There is no magical 'best' lane for all situations, use your head and avoid potential trouble.
  10. award for best new avatar goes to triway. :)
  11. Thanks...............................I stole it of the other forum I frequent :oops:
  12. For thinking & for headchecks!

My headchecks got way better when I gained the confidence to lift my bum of the seat a little to swivel further!

I now mirror, headcheck & mirror again as I have had a d1ckhead in a hotted commode pull in to my line of fire from behind me, as I was turning my head back to be sure I didn't rear end the car in front!

13. Whilst we're wandering off-topic a bit - I'm pissing myself laughing at the username 'FluffyDonkey', maybe its because I've just had a few drinks though :p
  14. Thanks guys,

It does seem that there is no 'right lane' to be in. I'm sure they all have their hazards. Whilst i'm riding on my own (and still on Ls), i may avoid freeways for a while. Just until I feel more confident. In the meantime i'll practice shifting off my seat a little to get a better view for headchecks - great idea!

Thanks for all the feedback.
  15. i suprised nobody mentioned creating a buffer zone as taught. gosh and I haven't even got my bike yet.
  16. they have mentioned the safest lane.. the safety zone/buffer zone idea is all mixed in with that.. woodsy got it pretty much spot on too.
  17. always ride like there is no safest lane, because when you think your safe with cars around thats when you'll come unstuck.

18. complacency kills

should make a sticker.
  19. What sked said.
    It will always vary depending on circumstances.

That's the difference between a car and a motorcycle. You need to think on a motorcycle. :wink:
  20. Generally I'll stick in the right lane on the busy freeways and make sure I'm moving comfortably with the traffic to manage my buffer zone. Not too close to the car in front and never sitting next to a car beside me. I do this because I'm happy to travel at the speed limit or a bit above to match the traffic and I have the emergency lane as a escape route if required.

Headchecks are absolutely mandatory and always do them. Never fall into the trap of assuming nothing is beside you. There will be a time when you do a headcheck and are surprised that a car or bike is there!!!
    Having said that, if you intend to change lanes, manage your buffer zones in advance and effectively plan for the lane change. Make sure you have a decent gap in front of you, check that the traffic isn't stopping, you should have either sped up or slowed down to be in front of the car beside you, indicate for a few seconds, check mirrors, check infront, headcheck and then move.

One of the most common mistakes I read about is "I looked up and the traffic had stopped in front of me". If in doubt, slow down and manage the traffic in front of you instead of trying a quick lane change that you are not fully prepared for.

If you have plenty of space in front, you can comfortably do a headcheck and even sit up on the bike and take a left hand off the bar. If you are new to riding everything seems a bit rushed and you are probably trying to do a very quick headcheck because you are worried about taking your eyes off the road in front. Once again, make sure you have space in front. Space around you and especially in front is the key to your safety.