Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

which is safer? sportsbike or cruiser?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by arsenalroc, Oct 22, 2007.

1. sportsbikes

2. cruiser

0 vote(s)
  1. A few mates and I spent half the night discussing motorbikes and one issue that we could not agree on was which form of two wheel transport was safer, cruisers or sportsbikes. we all accept that riding is dangerous
    while we all agreed that it really does boil down to the rider's attitude, some believed that cruisers were the safer alternative, and others on the other hand was for the sportsbikes side.
    some arguments
    --> cruisers are lower to the ground- cannot really see around properly as not as high as a sportsbike
    --> cannot react as quickly with a sportsbike with a cruiser
    -->when turning, if you make a mistake, it is easier to correct with a sportsbike as you can lean more where as a cruiser has limited lean.

for arguments sake lets say that a rider like a large percentage of netriders is a level headed and a fairly experienced. which would be the safer alternative?

p.s we all agreed that scooters dont factor in this discussion!
  2. Cruisers are shitter in every practical way than sportsbikes.

However, most cruiser riders ride a lot more slowly, as those bikes tend to make you feel more like, well... Cruising than thrashing the tits off them.

Going into the same emergency situation at the same speed, the sportsbike would be a much better option every time - but cruisers, like scooters, are ridden slowly so they get into fewer difficult spots.
  3. I reckon that the bike in the middle, a naked sports would be the safest? But then again I ride a hyosung! :LOL: :LOL:
  4. Wot Loz sed

In the same situation, always the sporty, but the two kinds of bikes are rarely, if ever, ridden in the same situation, which makes comparison difficult.
  5. This again.

The answer is 6 of one and half a dozen of the other.

You can raise points for and against on both sides of the fence.

Ultimately it will all boil down to the person who is riding it, riding within the abilities - his own or the bikes. Responsible riding is the key.

Have a head on with a Mack truck on either, the end result will be the same.
  6. I'm saying sportsbikes.

From my point of view, all other things being equal:

The rider is generally sitting higher so has better view of what's ahead.
    Sportsbikes handle better.
    Sportsbikes have better acceleration & braking.

Mind you, generally cagers steer clear of cruisers 'cause they think they're all ridden by Big Bad Outlaw Bikers :LOL:
  7. Two different categories for accidents;

Overcooking corners: comes down to attitude. If you ride a cruiser you've chosen to ride slowly, so won't be pushing it too much, makes a massive difference. That said, sports bikes will have better brakes and more chance of getting out of a sticky situation.

Traffic vs. Bike: People ARE less likely to mess with you if you're on a massive cruiser, especially if you look the part. And people will be more inclined to be careful because its so freakn big, whilst sportsbikes often look small and non threatening.

If you are comparing safety of riding each of the two with someone who is cautious and doesn't push themselves, the sportsbike is safer since they will typically be lighter, smaller, more powerful, thus being more agile, better brakes, better lean angle, better steering, etc. etc.
  8. you could be riding Jenifer Hawkins bare back down George St. and it wont make a licking difference when that cager runs the red
  9. Agree with the general line of answers. A higher revving smoother more powerful bike with all my weight leant forward on the front wheel makes me want to carve it up at higher speed, taking risks. A bike with a low-revving throbbing engine that feels good at any speed makes me happy to take my time, and for instance happy to get stuck behind cagers without feeling such a need to overtake. Hence less likely to get into sticky situations. But obviously the sports bike has the better capacity for getting out of those sticky situations. I prefer classic bikes (Brit and vintage style, moreso than American cruisers) in minor part for this reason.
  10. Very good point actually, I was getting really pissed off at this guy doing 50 in a 60 zone that is much nicer to go at some speed at. Really got me annoyed, partially also due to the fact that the guy clearly couldn't drive for crap/was drunk/both. Overtook as soon as a small straight came up. But come to think of it what was annoying me most was the on and off snatchy throttle and annoying powerband of the 250. On a bigger vtwin I don't think I'd have cared as much.
  11. The correct answer is the one ridden by the safer rider.
  12. depends what you are doing. In some ways i can see why the cruisers would be better (due to the image). but the sportsbikes (my favourties) are more agile, and at a great speed, have some form of downforce, compared to the cruisers, which have nothing in this department.

I'd always go a sportsbike, but thats just me.

13. Sportsbikes are pound for pound way safer. They stop quicker, turn quicker, have way better handling and cornering abilities. And they have better tyres. (Have you seen what the tyre manufacturers reccommend for cruisers?)

The rider attitude has nothing to do with the bikes built-in safety.
  14. Should I bother weighing into this further? :facepalm: :LOL:

Wrong. When you are talking about safety, rider attitude is everything.

A sportsbike has better brakes for the most part, can corner harder and faster, is usually lighter and more agile, has better tyres. Yes I'll give you all of that.

...a sportsbike encourages too many wanna be racers to push the limits. You can have a bike built for a racetrack and have all the associated performance benefits but if it isn't ridden responsibly, then its decidedly LESS safe than a cruiser. Lets be realistic here - I love sportsbikes and they are a hell of a lot of fun - but as a form of road transport they are overpowered for the road, and too much power in the wrong hands is NOT safe.

Of course you can have idiots on cruisers too! But the nature of the bike doesn't encourage the same sort of behaviour as a sportsbike does.

As for those stating lean angle is a safety feature - why? You approach a corner according to the limitations of the bike. On a cruiser you approach it slower as you don't have as great a lean angle. You still have room to lean a bit harder if you need to correct, just as you do on a sportsbike. The problem arises once again if the rider is riding outside the abilities of the bike - and you can take a corner too fast on a sportsbike just as you can on a cruiser. The difference is at what speed this is. And taking a corner at speed isn't necessarily "safer" :grin:

And as I said previously, you can list features of either bikes as being perceived as "safer".

Now if the question was "What bike has better brakes, better handling and performance?" then the answer is a lot more simple!

Let me reiterate before you jump on me and start telling me but a sportsbike can do this and that - I am stating that the most important factor in regards to safety is the rider every time, and am not coming out saying that a cruiser is safer than a sportsbike :LOL:
  15. So we all agree that you need a sportsbike that can ridden in a relaxed, cruisy style so that you have quality braking and handling along with a relaxed attitude.

I'm sure that Ducati will be happy to be known as the world's safest bikes :wink:
  16. I think that the point is fairly clear that a Cruiser - although physically not as capable of avoid danger - encourages a safer riding style.

That means they're not a safer bike, but tends to be a safer combination of rider + bike
  17. Never been able to find a pic but the Highway Safety Authority in the US once tried to design the "safest possible motorcycle". They ended up building something that not only featured seatbelts :shock: but also had rear-wheel steering - which according to the test rider made it virtually impossible to control. I guess the safest bike is one you don't ride (though I'm sure sitting on it in the driveway's still no guarantee some nuff-nuff driver won't mistake it for a road and run you down).
  18. Well for a bike that encourages you to spend all your time in cafe's sipping latte's instead of being out riding, then yes, its MUCH safer [​IMG]
  19. We also go shopping for Ducati branded clothing. :LOL:
  20. I tried to find statistics. I'm sure there must be more out there.

In the US, the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) has released a report with the following for 2005 :

Deaths per 10,000 registered motorcycles :

Supersport 22.5
    Sport/unclad sport 10.7
    Touring 6.5
    Cruiser/standard 5.7
    Other/unknown 4.3

Total Average 7.5

see http://www.iihs.org/news/rss/pr091107.html

As usual there are other factors to consider which I'm sure will be debated here as usual ;)