Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Which Helmet would you suggest I buy?

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by braith7, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Just starting out and need all the gear so I went down to my local bike precinct yesterday and tried on some helmets... which has left me a bit confused...

my shortlist is... (cheapest to most expensive)

1. Shark Vision-R
    2. Shoei TZ-X
    3. Arai Vector 2

I tried each on for a while, and didnt really feel much diference in terms of hotspots etc

I dont want to spend more than I need to but if one is considered a better buy than the others... ie - i dont want to buy a hyundai when I could of had a honda for slightly more - if you get my meaning :)

I do like the drop down integrated sunnies in the Vision-R but... not sure its a must have

(for reference, I intend to get a naked bike with a pretty comfortable riding position and I'll be commuting and general day rides - no track days etc so no need for boy racer features in my helmet :) )
  2. braith7braith7 - I have both the Shark and Shoei (pics included).

I prefer the Shoei as far as comfort goes, however i do like the drop down visor of the Shark as opposed to messing with sun glasses.

I did have a tinted visor on the Shoei but removed it as people are getting TINs for tinted visors etc so i'm just using sunnies.

In an ideal world I'd like a mix of both, and that would be the Shoei GT Air (white helmet) which comes with the drop down visor. From memory its about $100-150 dearer than the TZ-X

Attached Files:

3. I had the Shoei TZ-X.
    It was the noisiest, worst fogging helmet I've had in 40 years of motorcycling.
    The wind roar was truly deafening until I spent the extra $50 on their 'Whisper Kit' neck curtain that reduced it to about average.
    Others do not seem to have had this problem and it may be the combination of a screen that comes just under chin height and the shape of my neck and jaw line.
    The AGV Grid helmet I bought to replace it has been a revelation. So much lighter (1570g vs 1720g), quieter and hugely resistant to fogging.
  4. Check out - http://www.crash.org.au/ratings.php

I have owned a Shark and found it quite a good helmet, although a bit noisy. Haven't owned the Vision R though, so maybe they are better now.

Recently looked at the Arai vector 2 and wasn't overly impressed with it, the visor felt a bit weak when opening and closing. Didn't seal as well as the Shoei when closed.

Recently shopping for a new helmet myself and have settled on the Shoei NXR. Great fit, four shell sizes, so you get an appropriate size shell for your melon size which is good for aerodynamics etc.

Sorry, no experience with the TZX though.

At the end of the day, if they are all comfortable and fit your head shape, it comes down to the price you want to spend..

If you know your size there are some good online sales about at the moment.
  5. I have a shark with the drop down visor.
    I much prefer the drop down to sunnies as it makes it easier going into tunnels and dark car parks, just flip it up and you can see after bright sunlight

6. I own the older Vision R and found it quite comfortable and the drop down visor was very handy when going from bright sun to shady forest or tunnels.
    So when recently upgrading I was looking at getting another helmet with internal visor and was hell bent on getting the Shoei GT Air but it really didnt fit my head very well.
    It was between the Shoei NXR and Arai Defiant. Both helmets fit well but the Arai is in a different class comfort wise for me.
    I got a tinted visor but was worried at the time that it would be too dark when riding into dark areas but it really is a non issue. Even in overcast conditions riding through shady forest roads, the tinted visor was fine. Also the Defiant is designed aerodynamically for naked bikes.
  7. They are all good! I have an Arai Vector (the old model) and like it.
  8. I have a Shark Speed - R. And I love it, light and rarely fogs up. The internal sun visor is easy to use with a glove and provides excellent protection from the sun light.
  9. I also vote for the shark speed r. Bought recently for $399 from dealer online. It is designed to be quiet and aerodynamic for naked bikes. Also light weight and anti fog, mine came with free pin lock. Sun visor is great and has cut outs for glasses and easy to remove liner for washing. Cheeks should be tight when new but goes away after a month or so. I find it very comfortable. I removed nose guard to improve visibility when looking down at instruments and still no fogging, also nice visor up down action.
  10. I have a Shoei TZ-X, it's a noisy bastard of a thing! I now only use it for track use and generally with ear plugs. Biggest bonus is the photo chromatic pin lock.

I also have an Arai Vector II, it's fit and finish is a bit better than the TZ-X and is substantially quieter as well, but I still wear ear plugs on long rides. Ventilation and eye port are very good.

I also have an NZI RCV full carbon, it's extremely light, fit and finish is impeccable and is very quiet, so quiet I no longer wear ear plugs even on long rides. The only disadvantages is this is built to race, it's eye port is quite narrow and it's ventilation is limited. But you can comfortably ride with the visor full open or use it in it's just cracked position for extra air.
  11. A bit like asking "Which girl should I marry?", But for what it's worth I've had a Vision R for the last two years and I can't fault it; if I was buying a new helmet I'd probably just go and buy another, if it was still available....
  12. V happy with my newish Shoei GT Air. Has integrated visor which is great as I can't ride with sunnies (shit in dappled light), pin lock if you need it, light and a hell of a lot quieter than my (admittedly low end Aldi helmet).
  13. Having both styles of helmet I can say that the drop down visor helmets, for me anyways, feel much better when riding.. I don't really like riding with sunnies and the drop down visor works a treat.

I'm sure most riders on here would agree that sun glare is not pleasant and on a hot stinking day the last thing you want is to be blinded by glare.
    How you deal with the glare, visor or sunnies, will ultimately decide which helmet you go with.

14. The absolutely most important thing about a helmet is that it fits YOU properly and is comfortable, price is a secondary consideration.To check if the helmet is comfortable put it on with the straps done up and wear it around the shop for 15 minutes you will soon tell if it's going to hurt. For fit a good salesman should be able to help you, but basically it should be tight but not painfully so, if you wear glasses make sure they fit in properly.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Also happy with my Shoei GT-Air, although it does seem a wee bit loud, at least with my current riding position / screen.
  16. what about a Nolan helmet? Does anyone have experience with them?
  17. I've tried a few on and while initially comfortable after 10 minutes they caused pain from pressure on my forehead and ears.

But, I know people who absolutely love their Nolan.
  18. Have a look at crash.org.au

They have tested a heap of helmets for safety and comfort and it basically demonstrates that an expensive lid, isn't always (usually?) the best. In fact, some of the most expensive brain boxes have the worst ratings.

At the end of the day, the best lid is the one that fits your head well and feels comfortable.

The only thing I would strongly recommend is to avoid open face helmets - full face offers the best protection. I am speaking as a doc who works in Emergency and on rescue helicopters and I have seen plenty of smashed faces and heads from riders wearing open face lids.
  19. Absolutely agree with the first 2 paragraphs, hesitant about the last. Why am I hesitant? Because I have heard many health professionals tell me about how they've seen wards full of motorcycle crash victims, but when pushed and challenged it turns out to be a slight exaggeration. My late mother, was a nurse and was Matron of a regional base hospital before she died and while she didn't like motorcycles she admitted that there were far more injuries caused by horses than by motorcycles. So I must ask, because I am a skeptic, how many is plenty? Lets say over the last 12 months.

Also as doctor, would you accept that in some instances a full face can be more dangerous than an open face.

The other thing to consider of course is that you get no injuries if you don't fall off. I'm not sure which state you're in, but from the figures I've been quoted the vast majority of motorcycle accidents in NSW are single vehicle accidents caused primarily by rider error (given it's single vehicle it stands to reason).

20. Totally agree about more horse injuries than bike injuries - at least bikes don't have minds of their own!

I also agree about a lot of bike accidents being due to rider behaviour, even if another vehicle is involved (another thread?)

As far as bike accidents go, i am a senior ED doc in a major trauma hospital, as well as working on the medical rescue helicopters in the area. How many bike crash victims a year?? No idea, but I can tell you yesterday evening I looked after 4 in the space 3 hours - 1 was a minor leg injury, 1 hand nothing wrong with them, 1 had a fractured femur and pelvis and the last one was f***ed up beyond all recognition, but not quite dead.

Most of the serious bike accidents with open face helmets I have come across have been on my chopper job. Why? They don't come to hospital - I arrange an appointment for them with the coroner. Obviously, if you just ding your leg, whatever lid you're wearing makes no difference, but if you're in a high speed/ high energy transfer smash, the more protection you are wearing the lesser chance of serious injury.

Open face helmets offer absolutely no protection to the face and the brain is directly behind the face. From an anatomical point of view, the bones in the face are designed to be load bearing in an up/down direction - so you can eat your steak and chips. They are not very strong front to back and it doesn't take much force at all to collapse the face with a frontal blow. A relatively low force, such as a punch, is enough to cause major facial fractures. Plant your face into the tarmac at a ton with an open face helmet and your face and brain is going to be absorbing all the impact.

Best advice......don't fall off!
    • Like Like x 2