Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Which front/rear pads to get for Suzi GS500?

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by Widget, Jul 19, 2015.

1. Hey guys,

I think Im in need of new brake pads for my 2008 Suzuki GS500 naked, but really not familiar with bike parts and brake brands for bikes. Does anyone have any suggestions on cheap yet decent (non high performance) pads to get?

Ill call up the local Suzuki dealer when I get a chance, see what they stock, but in the meantime, any suggestions would be super.

Thanks [​IMG]
  2. Cheap and decent in most anything means mutually exclusive.

Look for EBC, Bendix, Ferodo. They are good brands. The dealer will possibly try to sell you factory pads, which will be one of the other brands, just bearing the Suzuki name with a probable massive cost when compared.

Many people are tight kunts and like to get Chinese shit from eBay, but I have seen amny sets from eBay that people have trouble fitting because they are the wrong thickness, they squeal, they can chew discs etc. I suggest stay away from that crap.
  3. Thanks Tweet :), wasn't looking at getting the cheapies from ebay, meant cheap/decent mainly the cheaper of a good brand (entry level). Dont need anything super fancy, as long as it does its job. Im more commuter than racer/tourer.

i'll certainly check out those brand you mentioned, much appreciated :)
  4. The wiki is full of shit, absolutely no need to remove the front axle to do pads. I'm running cheapish Ferodo platinum pads which work fine.
  5. Yep TWEETTWEET 's got it pretty spot on. I'd second Ferodo, EBC & Bendix
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Thanks guys :).. where do you recommend buying them ?
  7. my 1c.. Ferodo "Sinter Grip Road ST".. they say for stainless discs only...

had good luck so far with Metal Gear sintered pads. almost as grippy as the Ferodos, but aren't ripping disc apart.
    they're also about the same price.... at $35 per set (metal gear organics tho.. may as well us rocks to try and stop)

for the popular brands, your local bike shop likely has them in stock. (my local was cheaper than ebay)
  8. I've been using Metal gear sintered and found them 'alright'; acceptable feel, good bite, low dust and good wearing. Sintered pads will wear your rotor but the pads will last ~5 times longer, vs organic pads which are much softer.

My personal preference is Ferodo organic pads for the money: great all rounder.
    The cheap ebay organics I use feel great but burnt down to the metal in only 2 weeks compared to 12 months with my previous set.

Personally I would just go to your local bike shop and get whatever organic they are stocking if you're just commuting, remember to check them frequently as stop-start riding eats through pads. You should be expecting to pay ~$50 for a good set, be sure to use some copper grease to stop them squealing.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. On a bike like this I reakons cheap eBay pads are worth a try. I've used them before on my slow learner bikes and they worked good enough for that bike. I wouldn't put them on something I take to the track obviously.
  10. Thanks guys :)

I called the motorcycle store I usually go to (30min drive), said they stocked EBC and had the ones I need in-stock. Went there, was told, they don't stock EBC, they stock Ferodo, and the pads that were suppose to be In-stock.. are not...:facepalm:.. Didn't want a waste of a trip and needed pads, so got these,

Front: Ferodo Platinum FDB2049P
    Rear: Ferodo Platinum FDB338P

$39.95ea ($79.90 all up). Not sure if that's a good price or not. I had a look at Metal Gear, with postage, would have come to roughly the same cost.

Will install them as soon as I can and see how they go.

Thanks again :)
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Thats for the follow up, they are great pads.
    They do bite for the first 10km so watch out for that in the rain, giving them a good bedding in is advisable.
  12. Ferodo Platinum are a very good pad for the road, great bite and great feel, much better than the EBC's I had in previously. Just changed them so don't know how they work on the track. EBC Sintered are a very good pad for the track, could handle more than all the punishment I could give them, but not very good on the road. Not much initial bite till you get them hot.
  13. Just an update.

i installed the pads, but it doesn't feel like they grip/brake when I try to slow down/stop. Do I have to break them in, maybe take a little off the top of the pad?

So, as it turns out, I don't think I had any pad left on the rear...

Front pads seemed ok, probably could have gotten a few more k's out of them.

Thanks again for all the suggestions :)
  14. Be wary of the rear brake, it seems to lock almost effortlessly during hard braking. Read the instructions on the box; I got mine quite hot early on and within a few hundred ks I was accustomed to the performance.
  15. Those pads on the left were grinding metal. That means they've destroyed the disc. You will either need to get it resurfaced, if it's even worth it, or buy and install a new one.

Just run your finger along the back disc and the front and compare the smoothness of the surfaces.
  16. It's probably not worth the trouble given the relative uselessness of the gs500's back brake. If the disk is fubar no back brakes who cares.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. It surprises me at how carefree some people are with their brakes. My brother is a top mechanic and has often said "If a car (or bike) won't start, that's an inconvenience, but if it won't stop, that's a major tragedy" The manufacturers put rear brakes on a bike for a reason. You should always make sure that your brakes are in the best possible condition. That means checking them regularly, changing the fluid at least every second year. Discs can groove or warp from normal use, so check them as well. If they are warped, then the "Run out" will be too high, this pushes the pads and pistons back in the callipers and means the lever/pedal will feel too soft when you initially apply the brakes. By the look of one of those pads you took out, you have been running on the metal for some time, it's highly likely that the disc the pad ran on is totally stuffed and needs to be replaced.
  18. Each to his own, I guess. A brand new rear disc and pads will cost less than $200 delivered, and you could always try your luck at a wreckers. IMO, if you don't have the cash to make sure you're not riding on a chewed up disc then it might be time to reevaluate whether riding is the right for you at this point in time.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. jack_1313jack_1313 and Senator17Senator17 Have either of you ridden a gs500? In theory you're both right but the fact is it's surplus to requirements on this bike. Ideals are great but I'm not carefree, I'm a realist.