Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

which foot down?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by ageg, Oct 8, 2011.

1. Hey everyone,

Been riding for a few weeks now and when im driving into the city for work i watch motorbike riders pulling up at lights and taking off....ive noticed that when it comes to stopping that some riders use their right foot to put down or their left......is there any benefit to either foot? or is it because they are still in gear that they put their right foot down?.

2. You'll know at the time. It's probably simply that the bike feels its leaning slightly one way or the other so the rider puts the relevant foot down to stopit toppling. Something like that anyway.

3. Left for me.
    I get on and off to the left.
    It leaves my right foot on the rear brake to hold the bike stable so I can take my hands off the bars freely.
    It looks kewl.
    Camber pending of course.

• Like Like x 1
  4. If you put the left foot down then you have the right foot free to hold the bike on the rear brake if necessary. If it's flat & you"re in neutral I guess you'd put the right foot down, so you're ready to change gear. Or both feet if you might be there a while, like the lights just went red.
    I'm a learner & being told to always be in first gear when I come to a stop & put my left foot down.

5. I don't put down a foot depending on which way I'm overbalancing. I try to stay as non wobbly as possible. :angel:

I'm in the habit of always putting down my left. It was part of the drill in my Qride training. The reason is that when at traffic lights you can have the rear brake engaged (light in drivers face/stability if tapped from rear) and be ready in gear/on throttle if you need to make a hasty getaway (spotted imminent pile up in your mirror). Makes sense, but I don't think it's always necessary.

Plenty of experienced riders, I have now noticed, put down the right or left or both.

One of the next things I want to work on is being able to come to a stop whichever way I want to, depending on my judgement of the situation.

6. #6 bulby, Oct 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    ^ This. And I make sure there's a car stopped behind me before switching into neutral and taking both hands off the bar. Otherwise I stay in 1st gear and be mindful of any movement behind me just in case.

7. Keeping a foot on the rear brake makes the rear brake light come on and stay on. One more little bit of help.
    If you push on the left bar as you stop the bike will always fall to your left foot. Amazing.

8. Exactly 100% what I do and for exactly the same reasons.

9. I put both my feet down. Gotta love scooters.

10. I use what ever is needed at the time. Left, right, both, don't really care. Always hated fixed rules for things like that. Also you should be able to operate front brake and thottle at the same time.

11. Rear brake provides stability.

General Rule:

Going fast = Use Front Brake
    Going Slow = Use Rear Brake

It is a general rule and there is more to it then that.

Generally speaking if you get a shock while going slow and squeeze the front brake quickly it throws the bike's balance off, do it on the rear and you may skid a bit.

12. Probably left foot down and right foot on the brake is probably a logical approach but which foot depends on where you are really...
    As some have stated, I change depending on surface, camber, hill start, etc...

My heels are just off the road surface on a flat road so I do assess the surface where I'm about to stop at...
    Many roads do angle from the middle to the sides for drainage so in many places I can flat foot my right why I use the right more than the left.

Oh, and just beware of wet roads that can cover small pot holes you thought was flat road...
    Err easily missed and yes I have nearly fell sideways a couple of times...lol

13. So what do you do if your gears are on the right side and your twin leading shoe rear brake is on the left and said brake wont work to stop the bike rolling backwards on a steep hill,long toe nails help.

14. ha ha hit the kill switch when you stop in gear. Start with the button and duck paddle like a mad man.

15. it depends on which glove they put on first

• Like Like x 1
  16. Whatever floats your boat, seriously that's the only question you could come up with?????
    No wonder other forums laugh at us at times.

17. some ones laughing at us ?

18. What, all 12 people on Two Wheels ?

19. It's not just people on other forums who laugh at some of the questions asked and statements made here.

20. I think you're SUPPOSED to put the foot down on the opposite side of your rear brake pedal, so that you can use your rear brake to keep the bike stopped and use it as a take off and low speed control device.
    Having said that, my brake pedal is on the right hand side of my bike and I usually put my right foot down and my left foot up, because it's more comfortable and natural to do it that way. The front brake is fine for keeping the bike stopped on hills on tarmac on my bike.
    Sometimes I even put BOTH feet down...