Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

which first bike? NSR150-SP or ZZ-R250

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by NSRfreak, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Hi,

I'm going for my bike L's soon and wanting your thoughts on a suitable first bike. I have no experience AT ALL with motorbikes.

The two bikes i like are the NSR150-SP and the Kawasaki ZZ-R250.

Leaning more towards the NSR but worried about it being a 2-stroke. I've read alot of reports about seizing engines and having to rebuild every 20,000km's etc. If i buy one that has around 20,000k's on it that hasn't been rebuilt will i run the risk of getting a seized engine while riding it?

Please share your thoughts/recommendations.

2. NSR is not lams approved from memory.

3. If you have no experience with bikes then a ZZR is a far smarter option than a 2-stroke made cheap in Thailand.

4. I feel like i'm pretty set on getting an NSR150. Would like to hear from other 2-stroke owners about reliability and how often to rebuild etc.

5.  Top
  6. If you're set on getting one then why ask for peoples opinions? :?

If you used the search function instead of being so lazy and getting the rest of us to do the work for you, you'd find that there are about a gazillion threads on here about NSR150's and 2 strokes in general.

Do a search.

7. Oh in that case they are the fooly sikest bikes ever and will totally smoke any 250 on the road with rebuilds/decarbonising just things you let the next owner worry about. Anyone who doesn't buy one as a first bike is an idiot.

There, happy now?

8. Buy whatever you like.
    But I know which one is faster, cheaper to maintain, cheaper to insure, easier to learn on, easier to live with, handles cross winds better. :wink:

9. Your right on all points bar one. :cool:

10. two different types of bikes, you'd need to sit on both and see which one feels most comfortable for you.

There are a few guys here with the 150SP, do a search and you'll see the wealth of mechanical knowledge that is being shared here.

A bike is as unreliable as the owner. If the owner doesn't look after the bike, things will go bad quickly. IT's just that a 2 stroke bike goes bad quicker, and a 4 stroke bike will cost more when you compare the costs for similar types of damage.

As a general rule, if you have mechanical ability or want ot learn, get a stroker. If you want a bike to ride and let someone else worry about the mechanical stuff, get a 4 stroke.

11. I owned a zzr250 as my first bike.

The NSR is lighter and more agile, and would be easier to ride quickly in corners than the zzr. Yes it will require more maintenance and fiddling than a 4stroke, not as reliable, need for top end rebuilds every now and again, etc.

Thats the facts though, now that you know them just go for whichever floats your boat. If you'll be doing alot of kms or mostly commuting then I'd recommend the zzr or a 4 stroke in general.

The zzr is the more sensible choice, it'll be easier to ride and torquier, more forgiving of not being in the right gear, etc. But the NSR would be more fun to thrash in the twisties.

12. I'd go for the ZZR250 or any other 250cc 4 stroke if you are doing any sort of commuting on it. 2 strokes really aren't 'daily use' sort of bikes. And if you're not willing to get your hands dirty, and order parts from overseas, you're going to be paying a fair bit to keep the thing running.

Heres a thread on one guys rebuild after a hard 25,000km
    https://netrider.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=55492&highlight=rebuild

13. ZZR-250 then.
    Or even a GPX, same engine, different frame.
    They're the ones if you're going to use it as a daily ride, getting from A>B.

If you're mechanically inclined, want to learn about 2 strokes, and use the bike as weekend/leisure ride, then the NSR150 may be suitable for you.

I use to ride the Suzi and Aprilia 250 2 strokes, and loved them in the twisties and track.
    But I ABSOLUTELY LOATHED them in traffic due to its peaky powerband.

Ding-ing-ring-ing-Ring-ing-ing-Ding-ing-ing-ing-Ring-RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNGG

14. Yeah do a search. You'll find people arguing both sides of the story, and so in the end you'll just have to make your mind up on your own anyway! :LOL:

<- Me - I am a huge fan, so nice and biased. Rebuilds are cheap and easy, the NSR150 is fantastic as a daily commuter and in the twisties and on a small track. But for long distances and open roads it's not ideal.

IMO ZZR is more practical, NSR more fun. ZZR will probly end up cheaper to run since good qual 2 stroke oil is getting more exxy. But it's not nearly as bad as people make out.

These decisions are often made with the heart as much as the head. Your best option is probly a CB250 or a small car if using purely sensible criteria, but there's a reason we don't all have them.

15. Thanks for the replies guys.

Well i'll be using it as a daily commuter to work and back, and i'm sure the occasional twisty run as a few of my friends are buying bikes now too.

I think i've made up my mind on the NSR150 now. I'm sure the ZZR is probably more suitable but theres just something about the NSR that makes me want it! hehe

16. i have owned alot of 2 strokes..its all ive ridden for 13yrs on the road...i had a mate who had a nsr which i rode for about a week.. i was livin in sydney..using it to commute.. it was fine..and was really good on fuel and oil..
    but.. it is a very cheaply made bike it is not really a good example of what a 2 stroke should be.. power is ok. but over all build quality is poor or more to the point very heavy cant see why power would be any less then its 4 stroke counter parts, the big thing with 2 stokes to remember is "simple in theory, complicated in practice" this is where the prob lies.
    because they lend them selve easily to tunning and mods..everyday people attenpt this..and usually get it wrong...2 strokes do not like it if the maths isnt right and will go 1 of 2 ways foul plug or seized piston...
    my point...leave it stock..!! if not happy with performance do lots of home work or get someone experienced to do the work at the end of the day...
    people always say how unreliable they are...but gon into any motorcycle mechanic and look at what they are servicing or fixing...4 strokes.. all bikes need maintainance
    reguardless what anyone says u have to love what u ride good luck

17. I have a ZZR-250 which I have just started to commute more on....i was going to sell it after upgrading to a 1k beast but am thinking about keeping it now because I only make small trips to work...it has been a great bike. Cheap to run, cheap to service, great fuel eco, easy to chuck around as it is light, and reliable. It just feels small now side by side with the sprint!

18. I'd say if you want an NSR then buy it ,sounds like you'l love it more and if later you realise its not as practical as you thought who cares you learn from the experience sell it and buy something else.

Buy what your heart wants.. indulge in your passions as you only live once!

Practicality is for pussies, worry warts and old women. :wink:

19. Ive been riding for around 5 or 6 months now (have almost lost track)
    I bought a ZZR-250 as my first bike which I still ride today and I am totally satasfied with it, as it suited my needs as a learner very well.

I have noticed its a tad bigger than some of the other 250's around, but I see that as a plus, as its getting my more prepared for when I move upto a proper sport bike. (Assuming I ever get around to getting off my L's)

In terms of handling, I take it down some twisties every day on the way to work, and its a lot of fun, and far more capable than my skills allow.

In terms of power, Upto around 80km/h it pulls just fine and can be quick if need be. Above 80km/h is where you start to remember its only a 250 though :p Trying to pass cars can be a laboured affair. (Ahem, not that I have ever exceeded 80km/h.....)

Although this is the only bike I have ridden, I can tell you as a fellow learner that it has been a great fun bike to learn on. Take from that what you will.