Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Which Cruiser for me ?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by kazjim, May 17, 2005.

1. Hey all, I"ve shortlisted 2 Crusiers that I wouldnt mind owning in the next two weeks or so ....

Honda VT750 Shadow or Suzuki VL800 Volusia (Intruder / Marauder)

Very similar to sit on (havnt ridden either yet) and very, very similar in appearance...

About the same $$$ ......

I'm coming off a CBX-250 and riding up to 160Km a day.. (Gosford / Sydney)

Which runs the better economy ?

Cheers all
  2. which cruiser?

Being a dyed-in-the-wool Honda man, I'd have to say the Honda, but I do have a good friend with a Volusia which I have ridden and quite enjoyed, which is something since I'm a confirmed sports bike rider.
    We did a 3000k tour together at Christmas time and he was fairly new to the bike having graduated from a 250 also. He found it very comfortable and entirely suitable for the job. It is his only means of transport and he recently took his new wife on their honeymoon on it on another tour around victoria
    I don't think it really matters in the end. Hondas traditionally are better finished, tend to keep their value better and the VT certainly would be well supported for spares and servicing allowing that it is, and has been, the top selling cruiser in Australia for quite a while.
    Look too at what spares and accessories, screens, panniers, etc that are available for each bike too. I know, for example, that the Suzuki factory panniers are not very good.
    Ride them both then decide, or, if you still can't, toss a coin.
  3. I've heard stories about the VT750, thats its an all-or-nothing relationship with one - either its perfect, or its as far from it as you'd care to go.

Is that VL800 the same as the Kwaka VN800? I know Suzuki are rebadging the larger Vulcan chassis now. If so, those have a reputation of being bomb-proof from everyone I've spoken to.