Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Which coolant?

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by outtalive, Jun 3, 2005.

1. Just ran out of the coolant solution my mechanic slung me, he just had it in plain container and I can't remember the brand he put in there :(

Anyone recommend a good coolant? Particularly if it's cheap and/or widely available.

2. See your bike-shop for some Shell stuff.(bile-green) :LOL:
    It's a oncentrate, mix 50/50 with water (distilled, if you have poor water quality).
  3. :D

Castrol Coolant [condensed] in a 250ml tin $4.95 anywhere.... 8)
  4. T2: Is that castrol coolant a bike dedicated one or a generic one? Just curious to know where I should look for it..
  5. It is actually a generic, but passes all of the European standards in regards to Automotive use.

The big tip is don't mix brands or batches of the same brand and change the stuff at least every 12 months regardless of the cost.
    Also don't use anything that is cheap and designed for engines prior to 1988. A lot of manufacturers put this on their packaging.Don't risk it!
    Use something that will suit all modern and current engines.You can't go wrong!
  6. I use the Nulon concentrate (green) stuff for the car and the bike. For the car I use 33:77 concentrate:water mix and for the bike a 50:50. The main thing is that it says it's ok for Aluminium cores.

Oh yeah, diluted water is probably much better to use. It costs about 1 buck for a few litres. The bike takes about 2 or 3 litres (i think)
  7. I think I used castrol when I changed mine... got it from supercheap auto. It wasnt bike specific or anything.
  8. And remember that coolant is banned in bike racing as if it spills on the track it doesn't dry up as quickly as plain water and is a lot more slippery than plain water, hence a factory team is staring at an exclusion from the Mallala ASC round last weekend.