Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Which Commutercycle

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by V8cressida, May 11, 2008.

1. Howdy folks.
    I am looking for a bike to commute on around 65kays to and from work. The way to work is riddled with the Fuzz and speed cameras and just isn't fun on the Gixxer, besides I am wearing it out just riding to work ! Stuff that! So off to semi retirement she goes (weekends only)

Requirements are. Cost around the 2 grand mark; Fuel miser and no less than 250cc; handy if it can maintain 90-100 kph; reliable and goes for ever. (maintained correctly)

Anything you can think of fits the bill?
  2. Sachs 150cc
  3. GPX250, one of the best 'bang for your buck' 250cc bikes around. Should be able to get one for around $2000-$2500.

I would have said to have a look at the Sachs 150cc as well, but it's under the 250cc you wanted.
  4. I was thinking GPX too. Not sure about the fuel economy, it's been a while since I rode one, but they're a very capable and fun little bike and they seem to pop up criminally cheap around the place too.

Oh, and 2fiddys are about $150 cheaper to register than bigger bikes, too.
  5. Im getting 3.8L/100km currently, Over about 3000km or so. An ok rough guide.
  6. $2-2.5k shd net you a '89-93 Suzuki GS500E. Economical, plenty of power for the commute, and narrow enuff to squeeze & lane-split in traffic situations.

... but of course I'm biased! :grin:
  7. Thanks for the suggestions. Sachs 150 might be a tad under powered as it'll have to lug 100kgs. Plus at the moment there doesn't seem to be a dealer here for sales/service/warranty....... Prices down here seem higher than the mainland for seconhand bikes particularly in the learner legal ones.

ATM tradingpost prices have 89 GN250 $1200 : 87 GS250 $1500 : 94 ZZR250 $2900 : 94 Across $3100 : 95 virago 250 $3200.
    No GPX's or 500's for sale at the moe.
  8. The ZZR250's are decent bikes. Comfortable and enough power to get out of nasty situations.

That gets my vote.
  9. CB250. Two cyliner, air cooled, minimal maintenance required and runs on an oily rag. Also naked and not prone to significant damage when knocked. Is not highly prone to theft, can hold freeway speeds with little effort and had a nice upright riding position for comfortable commuting and easy to manoeuvre between the traffic. :)
  10. GS500E for sure. Light, and narrow for filtering making it great for heavy traffic. Cheap to run and buy, handles OK, reliable, useful midrange and topend acceleration, more than keeps up with freeway traffic. I have had a GPX250 and just found it too small and underpowered, unless it was spinning above 10,000 rpm, which isn't alway practical. Full insurance is about $150 and in Victoria we get cheap rego. Is there a better low cost means of commuting to the city??
  11. :rofl:

Thats hilarious.. my SV650S is like 20kg lighter :LOL: