Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Which bike??

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Merv, Jul 14, 2006.

1. Hi there,

I am just about to get my first bike, and would love some advice for a novice. I read the very enjoyable thread about buying a POS but I don't want the hassle and it brings back bad memories of my youth when driving POSs. I will be mainly commuting around Sydney with the occasional trip on the weekend. I would like the ability to go for a fang up the odd dirt road but in reality don't know when I would get the opportunity (family responsibilities etc).I have narrowed my choice down to a DR 650, an XR 250L, or a GS500. Both Suzukis are about a grand cheaper (when new) than the Honda, but I jumped on one the other day and it felt good. By the way I am a relatively big bloke (6' and 90kg). Any advice would be appreciated.

Merv :?:
  2. Forgot to mention I am also looking at the Yamaha XT 250.
  3. PM sent - your prob. in bed though :p
  4. Welcome Merv and good luck on your bike hunting.
  5. Have you looked at the Suzuki 400 trail bikes?

With the Demise of the XR400 they are probably the best of the road/trails around at the moment...
  6. Thanks ZRX1200R

I looked at the 400s, problem being seat height. As part of the trade off of me getting a bike my better half wants to be able to use the bike also, therefore the bike can't be too tall in the saddle and the 400s are around 100mm taller than the others. Hence my interest in the DR650 as the seat height can be dropped by 40mm if needs be.

7. Merv,
    I've been thinking about a DR650 as a second bike...
    I think they could do pretty much anything...