Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Which bike to get back on after a year?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by ad91on, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Hey gang,

It's been a while since i posted here as I lost my licence for a year so motorbikes kinda fell off the radar for a while...

Sold my old sachs and what not, long story, now need a new bike.

Still on my p's for a little while, looking to spend between $2000-3500 on a bike.

Don't really care about brand or type, but do prefer sporty little numbers which make big noises. I only need the bike for about 6-8 months so if it is a little disposable... i don't mind. But it has to be cool obviously, otherwise the ladies won't like me.

Any suggestions? Cheers.

edit: commuting/errands mostly, something which could be racked-up would be nice, nothing too small as i'm circa 6'1".

2. With that budget a GPX or ZZR 250 would probably be the best bet - being learner legal there's a ready queue of willing buyers waiting when you go to get rid of it.

Larger bikes are available in that price range but most will have high kms, which can make trying to sell them difficult (not to mention the risk that something might break in the 6-8 months you're riding it). If that's the way you want to go an early CBR600, ZZR600 or GSX750F might be worth a look (sports-tourers tend to be cheaper and less likely to be thrashed than a pure sportsbike).

3. IMO, I wouldnt bother buying a LAMS bike if you only have 6 months left on provisional LAMS.

Take it this way, unless you're extremely lucky; you're essentially only going to have that bike for 4 months. 1 month to find it and another month to sell it.

Save your cash and buy a decent non LAMS bike, unless your happy to stay with a LAM restriction bike for a long period.

4. True that and I have thought about just risking it, but I am just getting my licence back after not having it for a year so kinda want to stay on the right side of the law for a while... and i've still got 2 years on my greens not to mention the time left on my reds! selling would be due to moving overseas but i need my bike fix NOW!!!

What is everyones opinion on this bike? Real cheap... surely something is wrong with it other than it's age?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/1992-Kawasaki-GPX-250-/270687727893?pt=AU_Motorcycles&hash=item3f063ef115

5. not necessarily anything wrong with the bike - who knows - give him a call :)

6. Possibly, but then they may just be after a quick sale. Only way to tell is to check it out for yourself.

7. Megelli 250r? Not a particularly sporty engine compared to others LAMs bikes, but it looks the goods and would be about that new.

8. If you consider $5,500 about the same as $3,500. :p

9. For that money, even if it didn't work it would still be good!

I'll drop him a line and see how I go, who knows?

10. let me know how you go mate

I'm considering getting a gpx250 myself

11.  Top
  12.  Top
  13. But they're so sexy! That outweighs it, right?

14. Old, tired, and likely in need of substantial work to bring close to it's original potential.

Not necessarily a problem if you're willing to do the work yourself, but if you need to pay a mechanic to replace brakelines, springs, fork seals/oil, bearings and anything else that's likely been neglected by previous owners it's going to get expensive.

15. Ah see, I am not wise in the art of foresight...

Any idea exactly how expensive it would add up to?

Thanks for all your help guys!

16. Depends what it needs. I've seen plenty of ads for ZX2Rs, CBRs etc where the owner is selling on the basis of it being the "fastest" 250. The reality is though many have suspension and brakes so poorly neglected that a decent rider on a supposedly slower, but newer, 250 can easily run rings around them. So the price of many of these older parallel-4 250s is often far from justifiable.

Rubber items usually suffer the most, this includes things like fork seals, brake lines, brake master cylinder/caliper seals etc. My first bike was a grey import, which I soon discovered had no front fork oil. Didn't mean it couldn't be ridden, but it certainly handled a lot better with more than just springs up front. The absence of any friction material on the rear pads was also a worry (especially given it got past a RWC).

The cost with a mechanic will vary depending on the availability of parts, and the time required. But there are mechanics that won't touch a grey import as they're simply too much hassle - and their owners usually aren't willing to spend a lot of money.

17. Just to follow up on this post, i have ended up buying a 1992 Suzuki Across, and so far it has been great fun. Not perfect after 20 years on the road, mechanically it is quite happy!

Thanks for all of your help guys.