Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Which Bike to buy?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by glenngtho, Sep 27, 2007.

1. G'day all , I have been out of bikes for about ten years and will soon be back on two wheels again. My last bike was a VX800 but didn't get the oportunity to put a lot of K's on it and was wondering if anyone knows of any major probs to look for in this model.
    Also I am open to other suggestions on other bikes around this vintage , my knowledge base has suffered in the last ten years lol.
    Maybe SRX 600 , ZEPHYR 550/750.
    I intend to ride the bike on weekends more than through the week so it will be a fang to the shops / weekend tourer.
    I would like to keep the bike in the 550 cc / 800cc range.
    I would really appreciate any help / ideas on this matter :).

Cheers and thanx , Glenno.

2. Pretty much all depends what you're looking for. The VX is more of a cruiser style, right? Was that something you liked, or would you be happier with something sportier, or more of a naked upright style? There's a fair range in the bikes you named. And are you specifically looking for retro, or is that more of a price thing?

I got back into bikes after more like 20 years, and started with a 250, and was glad I did: I think I'm a better rider for the chance to work on riding rather than worry about speed/power. But your milage may vary.

The naked SV 650 is very nice and might fit what you're looking at (and be available around $5-6k... but the answers to some of the above questions would make it easier to make suggestions.
  3. Honda VFR 800 perhaps?
  4. I was in a similar position.

I went through with a virago and onto a honda VT 750 Ace cruiser. [now for sale :-(]

I wish now that I went straight to the 750. Very easy to ride and can get along pretty good.

Where are you located????
  5. Suzuki Boulevard C50 ??
  6. I did like the vx800 and the more upright position than other cruiser style bikes.Money will be the biggest hurdle with only about $4000. to spend which does limit my options.
    I'm not really after a sports bike style , just something easy to ride and maintain , preferably naked.
  7. :shock: :shock: :shock:

That'll get you some attention!

:shock: :shock: :shock:

8. The zephyr 550/750 is not a bad bike, a bit underpowered, but otherwise recommended.

I think one of the best value for money bikes out there is the XJ600. Made up to the late-90's, they were a 600cc 4-cylinder. They were a freak in the market at the time, as they're air-cooled, and seriously down on power compared to other 4's of the time, with only 60hp.

As a result of this conservative engineering, they are solid as, low maintenance, with a reasonable turn of speed. Buyers wanting more powerfull machinery shun them, so the used price is very low.

You'll get a very nice one for $4000.

You could also consider an early bandit 600, though they're uncommon.
  9. Good call, kols: and although the OP said he wanted to stay in the sub-800s, the XJ900 would be very managable. This one is 5 grand at a dealer, so there should be some around 4 privately.
  10. I would grab some attention naked lol.
    I'm just north of Brisbane on the Brown Coast ( between the Gold and Sunshine Coasts :)
    A customer came into work about 1/2 hour ago on a yamy 600 seca II
    with about 100 000k on it and has had no trouble and said it was pretty solid , i think it was about 8 year old or so and looked to have held up pretty well.
    So I think i'll throw this one into the mix.
    Didn't think of the Bandit so ill do some homework on that as well.