Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Which bike stand...

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by Shori, May 1, 2012.

1. Hi guys,

I'm looking to buy a bike stand, but not sure what's the best one to buy for minimal maintenance work on my bike. After reading on this forum bit, looks like the Kaneg stands seems to be reasonable and decent quality.

I'm still fairly new to motorbike maintenance. Shall I just be getting a rear stand or shall I get the front one too?

Just some details that might help you guys recommend:

- I currently have a Street Triple R. But, plan to change to KTM 990T soon. Does this matter?
    - General cleaning.
    - Chain maintenance
    - Oil change

Paddock stand or a Swing arm stand...?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. I recently bought an ebay rear paddock stand that I use for chain cleaning etc.
    It's from third gear and although I've only used it for around 4 weeks it seems perfectly fine. Cheap too.
  3. I thought paddock and swing arm stands were the same. Other names for rear wheel stands. Ehhhh I dunno.
    Anyway I've heard good things about the Kaneg, Anderson and Oxford stands. Don't go the RJays hunk of junk I got. Let us know what you end up with and how good it is.

Also one of those stands will be fine for what you plan to do (unless you have some outlandish definition of "general cleaning").
  4. Anderson are of good quality, but they are on the more expensive side. Kaneg should be good enough IMO. I have a Kaneg front stand...it does the job just fine. The Kaneg one however has already got some surface rust at the welding joints after 2 years. My Anderson rear stand (single sided swing arm) doesn't have any rust...and it is older than the Kaneg one by at least 3 years.

You can get the universal ones from Anderson (if you don't have a single sided swing arm) which gives you an option for lifting the bike via the swing arm or the spools. Personally I'd lift from the actual swing arm itself than add spools. I have heard Kaneg spools have broken off before so be weary. Not sure if Kaneg have the option for swing arm lifts.

Front stands I can only say I have used a Kaneg one. Haven't had issues lifting the bike or keeping it up (left the VFR400 on the stands for 3 months straight). Also use it at the race track while sitting on the bike, so it's strong enough. The only small problem I had was that the head stem pin wasn't big enough for the VFR, so had to jam a socket up in there that fit the head stem hole and pin.
  5. I've had a kaneg rear stand for about 4 years with no problems. Got a triple r too. anderson ones look classier though.
  6. Thanks for the input guys...

I'm leaning towards the Anderson's - Standard Universal Rear Stand.

I'm guessing it will work with Street Triple & the KTM 990T...?

Also, will I have to buy any other equipment to make the stand work? I don't think I'll need spools judging from the second pic - http://www.andersonstands.com/universal_rear.htm

Thanks again,

7. I have Anderson front and rear stands. I really like them, great quality, and I like the larger wheels, they seem to roll a bit more smoothly than some of the cheaper stands that I have seen.

The Anderson stands come with the different attachments to lift the bike.
  8. I am also for anderson stand expensive but worth it in the long run

You wont find a rear stand that will work for both bikes. The KTM has 2 swing arms where as the triumph has only a single sided swing arm
  9. @Chuchu - My understanding of Universal was that it should work with almost all the bikes.

The page below states it will fit huge range of bikes. Just my luck, I'm guessing the KTM will fall in that small category it won't work for?

- http://www.andersonstands.com/universal_rear.htm
  10. Best to contact anderson just in case...universal stands usually are made for standard swing arms, ie. 2 swing arms, where as single sided swing arms will most likely need a separate type. To be safe, give them a buzz.
  11. Universal swing arms will fit a large range of bikes but single sided swing arm bikes wont work.

Those are for bikes with single sided swing arm
  12. I've got a Kaneg rear paddock stand. Good quality and price.
  13. ......Sorry to hijack (PM) if necessary.......

Why the change?

Interested - both are on a short list of mine (getting considerably shorter)

14. Sharp Racing. Aussie made, excellent quality.