Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Which bike(s) should I keep?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Shibboleth, Jun 13, 2014.

1. My employer has relocated my job from rural Blackwater to Brisbane. At the moment, I have three motorbikes - a VFR800, CB400 and a WR426.

I'm not sure what I'll do for the commute. I'll be going from Chapel Hill into the city. It's likely I'll ride my bicycle, but motorbiking is a possibility.

I don't think that I'll need all three of these bikes in Brisbane, so I'd like to ask - Which bike(s) should I keep? They all have various pros and cons.

Pros: Cheapest to run / service / insure. Fastest, best handling, best 'weekend' bike.
    Cons: Heavy, big. Not suited for commuting to the city.

Pros: Best 'day-to-day' city bike.
    Cons: Not as good for 'weekend' riding as the VFR.

Pros: Probably the best commuter; can ride over gutters / pedestrians / Prius' with ease. Impervious to scratches / dents / being dropped.
    Cons: No front brake to speak of. Ridiculously loud. Wide handlebars may make commuting tricky.

Is there any reasonable trail riding around the Brisbane area that would make it worthwhile to keep the WR in dirt-bike mode? Or should I only consider motarding it? Being in Chapel Hill I can probably get my trail-riding fix from the mountain-bike tracks on Mt. Cootha.
  2. ... or get another job and stay in the country :LOL:
  3. Be a devil, take em all.
  4. You'll miss riding country roads most of all IMO. Keep the VFR and motard the WR for commuting.
  5. I'd keep the VFR for weekend runs up the glasshouse mountains. Sounds like a pushy will get you to work and get you dirty.
  6. Brisvegas's drivers, traffic and road system suck. Your treddly would be the way to go to get to work.
    Without doubt the Viffer and the Wrrrr. Great roads for the viffer just out of the city to the west and just a little north for the dirt.
  7. Which one gives you the biggest hard on?

WR with Motard kit would be my pick.
  8. If you can keep two then It's a no brainer in my book, keep the Viffer and the WR.

But if only one then I'd think hard about what sort of recreational riding you do and if you're likely to commute by motorbike or not. If you do short sunday runs and a bit of commuting by motorbike then keep the WR but if your country riding is longer distance and you aren't going to commute by motorbike then keep the VFR.
  9. From a practicality point of view, I'd keep the VFR.