Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Which are the future classics

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by elcamino, May 30, 2010.

1. Thought we could update an old thread............

Which of the new or late model motorcycles do you think will become a future classic or collector's item in say 20-25 years time?
  3. BMW S1000RR for sure
  4. +1 on the BMW

Had a look a one a while ago, beautiful machine. Had a nice chat to the guy at the shop as well (pretty good considering I told him I was only coming in for a perv and that my license and finances wouldn't allow a bike like it).

Also the GS500, just because their are so many of them around. I know a lot of new riders (myself included) that will probably look back at them with fondness (kinda like the old VW's).
  5. Original Fireblade
    K5 Gixxer
    4th Gen VFR's
    1975 Gold Wing
    Kawasaki 500/750 triple
    That'll do for a start.
  6. I'd say there'll be a demand for the "LOOKERS" bikes - bikes that look chunky and fat and different.

BMW F800S
    Triumph Sprint RS
    Aprilias will become a sought after brand, as will Moto Guzzi
    There'll be more of a demand for custom bikes
    Obviously the cafe racers
    K5 Gixxer
    Another plus 1 on the beemer
  7. Buells, since their not making them anymore.
  8. Don't want this to sound like I'm peddling my own merchandise, but a 2007 Graphite Daytona 675 would be hard to beat in this day and age; the first non Jap 600 to beat the Jap I4 600s, won a ton of awards (including masterbike twice) and the Graphite colour was discontinued in 2008 which means there is only so many around already! (Plus it's the best colour!)

Other than that, maybe the Duke 1098R (but then the 1198R quickly replaced it...)
  9. Aprilia RS250 without a doubt and probably the RSV4.
  10. +1 for Daytona, although equally biased!

RSV4 - dammit Lilley beat me to it!
    Monster S4R
    99 GSXR750 - first full on FI race-rep, or 00 cos it was so much prettier.
    'Busa (original)
    VMax (current)
  11. Woud totally agree on K5 Gixxer...just as well that I picked up one for myself recently ;)
  12. You want a chunky and fat Moto Guzzi?

13. Noooo. This one:

14. has to be the Brutale

or the new zeddy

15. Yamaha TRX850, perhaps? Has something of a cult following, are nice bikes, and were only made for five years or so (limited supply).
  16. The 675 triples look like they will really leave an impression.
    I agree that the TRX850 seems to have established its position
    The Duc XX98 series are definitely impressive, but that goes without saying. 916 anyone? (O.K. so the 999 is forgettable)
    The new Beemer is defiantly an exercise in technological WOW… but, it is just an other screaming inline 4, don’t know if it will really become a particular classic.
    The RSV4 may become one though, just because it is different and expensive to maintain, and so very, very focused
    I think Buell will have some models that will be remembered, just because they are soooo different.
  17. Ducati 916 thru 998, particularly SP. And 748.
  18. Have you had the frame sorted out?

I know this may not be considered as exciting as some of the bikes mentioned already, but CB's seem to do well in becoming classics. Both the 600 and the 900 Hornets have quite a following now.
  19. nightrod special
  20. Any sports bike that has not been rolled into a small ball of twisted metal, badly modified or thrashed on a track.

Any equally virginal motard.

Any current Guzzi, now that they seem an order of magnitude rarer than the common as muck Ducatis.

But then, what do I know? I was shocked, a couple of months ago, to see a Kwak Zephyr described as a "nice old classic". I've been riding long enough to remember them being deservedly panned as the awful Z1 pastiche that they were, that didn't work as well as the much more authentic GPz and GT variants and were more expensive to boot.

Actually, there's another tip. Anything that the bike press doesn't like and the buying public avoid.