Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Which 250cc+ 2 stroke for track use ?

Discussion in 'Racing, Motorsports, and Track Days' started by Matt GO!!!!!!!, Aug 23, 2011.

1. I am very keen on getting a 2 - stroke 250cc (or higher if possible), road bike for pure track day use.

I know of the Aprilia RS250, Honda NSR 250, Suzuki RGV 250 and Yamaha TZ 250 ? . I am bewildered when it comes to Kawasaki.. do they have a 2 stroke road bike? And is there any other Brands I may of missed?

I am looking for fun - factor and superior braking / handling of a smaller bike. I have my heart set on my track bike being a 2 - stroke. I grew up watching Mick Doohan, and I grew up around some 2 stroke farm / agricultural bikes. The smell, the noise, the powerband, being different, the lighter overall weight, it's hard to explain but I just want one !!

Any thoughts tips or recommendations on what would be a good bike and what to look for would be much appreciated !! Thanks in advance guy! and maybe girls!

EDIT: I forgot to add.... which one will be the easyiest to fix for my local mechanic and to get parts for.
  2. There's also the Kawasaki KR1/KR1S
  3. Thanks I will look them up !
  4. The rgv or the rs is the most common, the rest are either grey or only imported for a couple of years.

The rs is newer and has the same basic engine as the rgv with some mods. I chose the rgv as I got a deal. There's some to be had on rgvs.

Don't buy a 2 stroke if you never want to work on it.
  5. I have my dad to help me with rebuilds, he used to work on 2 stroke farm bikes and rebuilds on them. But of course, I don't ever want someone to do the dirty work for me everytime, will have to be proactive and learn it myself.

6. Gerrrrr ive been looking at that same Aprilia :censored: but have also been looking at an RGV and the triumph..................

I like the shorter height of the RGV, the weight of the earlier model, and the more/cheaper parts..................but the Aprilia is newer with better sorted suspension, better looks, better brakes, and more power.............

Id go with the Aprilia, unless theres a bargain on an RGV.
  7. Hehehe great minds think alike :)...

Take a look at this Azn Cruiser - http://www.rgv250.co.uk/models.htm

It shows all the diff models of RGV. and the Wikipedia write up shows more abouts specs. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_RGV250

Im actually leaning towards the Suzuki now. I have a Suzuki dealership nearby at Moss St, Slacks Creek. My dad owns a Suzuki. The engine from RS250 ? is borrowed? from Suzuki by the sounds of things. I quote

"Aprilia bought engines from Suzuki (which were fitted with Aprilia branded castings on the timing and clutch covers), then fit their own expansion chambers, barrels and ECU. There were also external differences in the cylinder head castings, but no internal differences have been noted.".

So I don't think I will touch your Aprilia.... for now.. perhaps .. haha!
  8. Like I said better suspension, brakes, power and apparently a better overall bike. It might be from the same engine base but they certainly arent the same engine.

I do like the Suzuki because its lighter, shorter seats, and cheaper to buy.
  9. In that case buy a rgv that needs a rebuild they are going for about a grand and a half down here. That rs that you are looking at is too fancy for a track only anyway.

The money you save can buy lots of tyres and days.
  10. Yes, but the RS is a significantly better track bike. One could argue the only place an RS 250 really belongs, is on a racetrack.

I'd advise starting out with an RGV - esp if Dad can fix up a tired one for you.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. There also exists the RG500, but it's pretty old and by some accounts a handful to handle...

The Aprilias are just going to be newer tech and better handling, so if I had the dough that's what I'd be heading toward.
  12. I will admit that the RGV is very soft in suspension, the back brake doesn't do much but the front is plenty for the bikes weight at 140 ish.

I will probably have to do the springs in mine if I want to keep it.
  13. I was looking at many a youtube video of the Suzuki RG500. There is even one up on the wall as a display at the local Suzuki Dealership. And I once saw one being push by a father and son up a hill. It'd obviously broke down. Majestic bike and very fast. It's just a bit out of my budget because it's now considered a "classic" bike, unless you find someone selling one not knowing this.

I really do want to start out small and the little RGV 250 is looking very attractive right now.

If one day I finally had the skill and money I would probably go about doing the rs500 donor scheme. Basically you supply some boys in Cairns with a Aprilia RS 250 and they give it ALOT more GO!!

Total Price of a fully built RS500GP: USD$22,000
    Price for us to convert your donor Aprilia RS250 to RS500GP: USD$15,500
    Cost of TSS supplying a donor Aprilia RS250: USD$6,500
    If you require only the RS500GP engine/pipes/carbs/ignition etc and frame conversion kit, the price is USD$14,000

Edit: BTW Vertical C you have 4 bikes!!! Lucky man ! very jealous
  14. I wonder if I should sell a kidney for 9000 dollars. You only need one to live. And I would weigh less, so I would have a better power-to-weight ratio.....
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Mat, ... mat mat mat ...

Try an RGV. Then try a current 600 sports bike. Then try a litre class bike, an R1 let's say. Then try a CR500 MX bike.

If you can ride a CR500, and do it confidently and capably, and enjoy it, and the idea of having WAY more go than that, with that kind of delivery and 'zap' appeals to you, then sell your kidneys. Hell - I'll donate one of mine.

My bet is that you'll love the 250 stroker, find the 600 a bit heavy and dopey by comparison, but easy to ride. You'll find the R1 Oh_My_Dog fast, but not all that hard to ride as long as you really respect the twist grip. But when you throw a leg (up &) over a CR500 you will discover wildly uncontrollable power and light-switch delivery, that makes a mockery of throttle control because the damn thing will dig trenches on the idle jet and still be spinning and mono wheeling in top gear. You will get off it after 10 minutes feeling like you've been in a wrestling match. Now imagine a bike that handles somewhere between your RGV and the 600, feels lighter than the RGV, makes more power than the R1, and has power delivery habits worse than the CR500. That is what you're lusting after.

If you can prove me wrong, and go get one and master it, you will earn my respect and admiration because you will have joined a very exclusive club. There have been about 100 men in all of history who could really ride a 500 GP bike. Modern MotoGP bikes and superbikes are a walk in the park by comparison. They're just like a litre class sports bike only better.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. I''ve got an NSR250sp2.. Its a very special bike and much more fun on the track than my 750 or 1000cc gixxers, and just as fast if not faster laptimes.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Negro that bike looks very nice................
  18. Not really mate. It makes a controllable 110rwhp or thereabouts at a relaxed rpm of something like 10k. Biggest thing they were after when redesigning the engine was a smooth power delivery with a good midrange and nice peak output figure. It'd be a hoot to ride nonetheless.

I'd go the RS250 or RGV as they're available and easy(er) to get parts for.

My 2c - boingk