Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Wheres the blind spot?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Praz, Dec 7, 2005.

1. Hey guys I did a quick search but couldnt find anything.
    When riding i'm very particularly looking out not be anyones blind spot its caused me an accident before.
    I figured that you were in someones blind spot when your front wheel was in line with the back of the car on your side and up until when they could see you in their front widow. I though whilst they were in here you could do a shoulder check and see them.

BUTTT, I was caging it down the ICB and this RG500 i think which i had in my mirrors dissapered into my blind spot, i went to do a shoulder check to see him and still couldn't see him. My mirrors were adjust llike normal an had i not been able to hear him I wouldn't even realise he was there. So where excatly should you ride in your lane when you have a cars in lanes beside you?
  2. My advice is that if you're keeping pace with a car for a long enough time to be worrying about blind spots, you should probably pull in front of or behind them. Having a bike "shadow" you on your left or your right for any kind of distance gets really annoying.

If you're weaving through traffic you're going to have to enter and exit their blind spot no matter what you do, so concentrate on your environment and possible exit strategies instead.
  3. Blind spot?

I heard it was somewhere near the Gspot. :p
  4. OK, here we go

Car mirrors are designed to cover blind spots that the inside mirror can't see.

So the right-hand side mirror's left (inside) edge should 'start' where the outside (right) edge of the inside mirror stops. Ditto in reverse for the left-hand mirror.

This way you have no blind spot; you can see from directly behind to what's just beside your C pillar.

Test this yourself; stand behind your car (in the driveway, dummy, not when you're driving) with someone in the driver's seat. If you can see the driver's face in either of the side mirrors, they are not adjusted correctly. While he/she is in the driver's seat, move round to where you would be if you were riding into the car's blind spot and have your friend adjust the mirrors to the proper position.

Lastly, superglue them in that positon so some drone who doesn't know how they should be, doesn't move them again :p
  5. This is your blind spot.

6. You wouldn't believe how many arguements I have had with people who wouldn't believe that this can be done.
    Good description too. :)
  7. This assumes that one has an inside mirror that one can use to see through a back window with though, that isn't the case in all vehicles.
  8. It seems to me that most people just adjust the RH mirror inwards until they can see the side of their car, meaning its effectiveness is about halved.
  9. Sure, but it is in most vehicles, and I haven't seen a modern car that doesn't have ourside mirrors on both sides.

MAYBE that's why Ambrose crashed at Bathurst; he didn't have his mirrors adjusted properly so he didn't see that Kiwi dill lining him up to push him into the wall.......
  10. remember that you're eyes actually have a blind spot that can't be sorted out with mirrors.
  11. I've had lots of practice at turning a blind eye since I joined Netrider, Dan !:D
  12. Spot on. Too many people think the outside mirrors are just two more ways of looking straight back down the road.

I tend to assume the driver's blind spot starts at the front of the bonnet and goes all the way back. If I am in a position where they could harm me by braking or swerving I find a way out of there.
  13. Yes, and your brain fill's in the gap to the best of it's ability. If you ask it to do so for too long, by relying too much on peripheral vision, it will eventually fail and you will suffer 'Peripheral Vision Psychosis' and/or 'Benign Positional Vertigo'. More than one aircraft accident has been attributed to this.
  14. A Ronnie Barker quote in the sig, mate??

I saw quite a few people in the time I was in the Army suffering from Benign Positional Vertigo, but I think it was caused by a brown fluid, not peripheral vision.......
  15. Well spotted, a true sign of a wasted youth.
  16. "The blind spot"
    The blind spot is just as mythical as the g- spot and they sound so simmilar anyway...

I just had to say "g- spot" Ive been thinking about making this post since you put up the thread. I couldnt help myself. Im sorry.

17. I'm pretty sure Bogus already made that joke Es, you're getting slow in your old age...
  18. (sigh)

They say riding a bike is just like having sex.

Some people do it, some just talk about it a lot.
  19. In the Army we used to say when guys were talking about it; "The next will be the first". I suspect that wouldn't work anymore, though...... :sad:
  20. This does not work. Just beside your car is not the problem, it's also whats beside and out a bit.

It will reduce or eliminate the blind spot close to the vehical and extend it further away from the vehical. Remember, the blind spot is not behind the car, it begins at the C pillar and extends directly perpendicular from the car on one edge, and back and to the side on the other edge of the blind spot. Bringing the mirrors in too far will only result in more of the lane beside the vehical rearward of the vehical in that lane being uncovered by mirrors. Unless you mount a full length mirror across the front of the bonnet, on a rack to lift it higher than the roof line and angled down then the mirrors alone will not be sufficient. There is always a blind spot so you'll have to keep doing headchecks.