Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Where's my bike???

Discussion in 'Racing, Motorsports, and Track Days' started by Ian Wiltshire, Feb 13, 2007.

1. Still on a ship somewhere mid ocean and that about as much info as I can get at the moment.

Story so far.

End of last season, I'd done pretty much all I wanted on the CBR, I needed a change to keep me focused.
    Although I really wanted to get a superbike, I was in no state financially to build one, let alone run one for a year.
    So I decided to keep things competitive but try keeping the budget under control with a view to moving to Superbike in 2008.
    I also thought that if I can entertain sponsors this year then some may be willing to follow me to ASBK which makes for a much less stressful season.

So the decision to ride a 400 was made and it's look like it's going to be a very competitive class. 71 riders have already registered a number and there are a few familiar fast faces in the list.

Bike choices were as follows, VFR, RVF, CBR, ZXR, ZXRSP, or FZR RRSP
    No-one runs the FZR so spares may be a problem and that ruled it out.
    Kawasaki would have to be the SP bike a quote of $1200 for a rear wheel turned me against that.
    The CBR has a poor fork design, no damping adjustment, but its a popular bike with a tunable engine.
    VFR's are also fast but the RVF has the advantage of better forks and the rules seem to favor that model.
    So the decision was made to obtain an RVF400 but with none available in Oz, I had to look over sea's.

A reasonable looking bike appeared to east (or is that north?) of in it's country of birth so deposit money was paid and the bike loaded onto a ship.
    That was back in November. Since then delays, and more delays "it'll be two weeks" was the reply, then another two weeks etc etc..
    And still not here.
    The latest is that as it was late leaving Japan and arrived at Singapore late, It missed being loaded onto the designated ship for Australia. So it's had to be put on the next ship which is due here in ...."a couple of weeks"

I the mean time, I've been searching for sponsors, and while some have expressed an interest, no one is prepared to part with any marketing $$ when there is no bike and a strong possibility that we may miss the first round.

Bare in mind that we cant take the bike racing as soon as the container doors open. There is a whole lot of work to be done before it gets near a track.
    A general checkup and dyno run first, Then a complete strip down to last nut and bolt. Forks and shock to be serviced/revalved/resprung. Bearings to be replaced, engine reassembled, setup and run in.
    It all takes time.

I do have the new fairings ready to go on but before painting, they need fitting up to the bike to make sure there's no adjustment needed.

So far we've missed the first Hartwell, we will also miss the first Interclub and it's looking extremely possible we may miss the 2nd Hartwell in SA.
    If that happens, the first time I race the bike will be the TriState at Oran Park. So a new circuit on a new bike.

Looks like a challenging year ahead.
  2. Tell me to mind my own business if you like, but what does it cost to run a bike like this for a season?
  3. I've sent you a PM with the numbers as I've put a lot of work into the proposal and I don't really want people copying my hard work for free.

The proposal is very attractive but not having the bike here makes it very difficult to sell to people.
    Most see the 400's as a dieing class with old bikes being ridden by old people but in fact it's quite the opposite.
    71 riders have registered a number for the series which is probably double that of the most contested ASBK class.
    The bikes are up to 10 years old (some are only a few year old) but with restyled looks using Moto GP Replica fairings, who is going to know. The fact that they are now also exactly 1/2 the size of the current MotoGP bike makes it easier for the public to associate our bikes with those at the top of the tree.
    As for the old guys, yes there are some but there are also lots of new racers using this class as a footstep into the sport.
    It's ideal. They race against experience riders and can learn a lot in a short space of time without the pressure and expense of humongous horse power.
  4. Rediculous delay. 2 months??! :shock:

In the long-run it may have been cheaper to fly it over (taking into account lost sponsors, missed rounds).
  5. Do you have a genuine consignment note/tracking number for this important freight?? Sounds to me like someone is playing games with you but it's not funny. I agree with the Admiral; it may have worked out faster, albeit no cheaper, to have gone there and brought it back yourself.

Let us know how this project goes, with piccies, of course :).
  6. The problem is a there are a few third partys involved so I'm just sitting waiting.
  7. Fair point.

I remember when we were assisting a young road racer early in his career in the 70s, his mentor was Jack Ahearn. Femsa ignition systems were all the go for TZ Yamahas, but they took forever to get here. Jacko hopped on a plane, bought a suitcase full and sold the ones they didn't need when he got them here. Fixed their TZ and made a profit on the deal into the bargain!
  8. Who is the forwarding agent.

Do you have a House bill/BoL for the consignment?
  9. No, I don't have any paper work. A third party is organizing it all.
    I'm just waiting.

I'm sure there will be a bike I can borrow if this one doesn't turn up before Oran Park but it would be nice to race mine.
  10. I have brought cars in (not sure about bikes) but from Japan, some ships stop at Singapore, nothing gets unloaded unless its staying there. They load them up so its easiy to remove the cars/bike/boats that are staying. Then sometimes they will go to some of the pacific islands, then Bris, then Sydney, then melb, followed by NZ.

Kiwi car carriers does this (stopped using them)

Obviously cars will be more organised then bikes as they are probably trying to squeeze it into somewhere.
  11. Yeah the 400s are still a very competative class to win. It is also interesting to note that most lap records for 400s are only a few years old, indicating that the series is not loosing the calibre of riders. Granted that lap time improvement would be mostly due to tyre technology.
    Certainly a very good stepping stone.
  12. Hang in there Ian, I'm sure it'll turn up soon.

Must be extremely frustrating, but you can hardly improve the matter.
  13. We are hope it's going to be next week. All fingers and toes are crossed. :roll: