Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Where to start racing - road/track?

Discussion in 'Racing, Motorsports, and Track Days' at netrider.net.au started by Nucleotide, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Afternoon all!

I've been trying to find out some information about where one could start racing motorcycles - road bikes. Not at all interested in dirt bikes though, I've been there, done that (many years ago) and although fun it's not for me.

I have no intention of trying to become a MotoGP rider and to be quite honest, I will never will be one regardless of how hard I try. At 27 years old my time for that has well and truly passed.

That said, entering into some local road races or even some track races is certainly something I'd be interested in. Not so much for the competitive side of things but to challenge myself and my ability and to learn.

Where does one start or get some information on this kind of thing? I would have thought the Phillip Island Circuit or the Superbike School website would provide some information or at least point me in the right direction of some sort but still I'm no closer to finding a starting point then I am 2 hours a go when I started looking.

I'm sorry if this has been asked before - I have searched and amongst the many other hundreds/thousands of results, I couldn't find anything that stood out.

Thank you! :)

2.  Top
  3. Motorcycling Australia is the place to start. They are the controlling body for motorcycle sport in Australia and have lots of information.

try http://www.ma.org.au/index.php?id=3

4. Black Spur, it's an awesome bit of road

:bolt:

5. Thanks a lot for the two links above. I hadn't come across Redline Motorcycle Racing before but I'm sure I'd checked out Motorcycle Australia and didn't find anything - I see the information now though.

Thanks a lot. :)

Haha! :rofl:

I will pass on that one but thanks for the suggestion anyway. :D

6. As far as I know there is no legal road racing in AU any more.

those guys that do it could prob answer better than me but pretty sure you have to join a club, pass a track test type of thing then you can submit that to MA and get a racing licence.

Then you have to pick the series you want to race in and then..............

sell all the body parts you can live without to afford to keep your bike on the track :)

7. preston mcc, pcra or formula xtreme theres not a lot really.
    Good luck with it.

8. Hartwell motor cycle club,
    Join there and you get your racing licence through them,
    They also do the races,
    Go along on a meeting night, They have the works, and will put you on the right track,

9. Illegal road racing is where it's at!

10. To be able to race at club levels, you will need to be a financial supporter of a approved motorcycle club...such as Preston Motorcycle Club, Hartwell, Gippsland motorcycle club etc.

Once you are club member, you need to get your Race License through Motorcycling Australia/Motorcycling Victoria. This only involves a multiple choice questionnaire which can be done at home and then sent in assuming you have a motorcycle license. If you don't have a motorcycle license, then you need to do a riding test too.

Not 100% if the rules have changed for this years or not in obtaining licenses.

Once you get all that done, you choose class you want to race in...depending on your bike.

Hope that helps.

11.  Top