Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Where to Sit on your bike?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by cakeman, Mar 12, 2009.

1. apart from the obvious - YOUR SEAT.....
    Im wondering as a 3 day old learner rider with a RVF 400, where to sit correctly on the seat.

When i am riding and revs are over 8k i feel the surge of torque, feeling like the front wheel wants to come up, not sure if it actually will.... So i am wondering is it best to sit further back on the seat with your feet firmly pushing on the pegs so you can get the downward force on the handle bars, or is it better to have balls against your take, though i dont feel like i have enough downward force on the handle bars....

Same question for cornering....

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. The way I see it, sit forward because if you brake hard you won't slide forward and hit the tank *ouch*.

3. Yes, for aggressive riding its best to have your ass back in the seat and leaning slightly over. Keep your wrists moderately loose (consciously ask yourself if they are too tight), ie. dont deathgrip them. Elbows should be bent and you should always be able to move them as a test if you're tolding on too tight. This goes mostly for cornering, but also for riding quickly in general. Don't weight the bars, weight your pegs and grip the tank with your thighs. As you correctly say, having the weight on the pegs will help keep the front down and also lower the CoG which makes it easy to throw around, especially if you use your weight on the pegs to help change direction.

4. Hahaha, shows how much I know! That's an insightful explanation Phizog.

5. I should have said, my comments were directed to riding sportier bikes so some of it doesn't apply to other bikes. The RVF is pretty much a road legal race bike and riding it with the body position it was designed for will help it out alot.

For nakeds it gets a bit blurier and as you progress towards motards the cornering style is distinctly different as I understand.

6. Should i sit far enough back so 2/3rds or so if my legs are gripping the tank, and there is a couple of inches from my groin to the tank?

Also, slightly off topic, but ill ask as you gave me a great insightr with your response. Im trying to corner faster now but am ending up to wide, speed isnt to excessive so that isnt the reason why im ending up wide, and line seems ok, i am leaning, but not sure if its enough.... im at that point where i am unsure when to much lean is enough to go down....

7. im gonna be the helpful one and say...

the seat is a good spot. sometimes you see people on the fuel tanks though :p

8. Obviously a whole host of things influence how far you can lean - tyres, suspension set up , the bike itself, the road conditions.

But generally speaking the bike can corner way better than a noob can. Have faith, lean more.

After all, what's the worst that can happen. :wink:

9. For normal riding just around, you dont sit right back in the seat and lean, that is more reserved for faster or more controlled riding eg cornering. For around town you want a comfortable position but your back should be bent slightly (helps shocks dissapate, instead of going straight up your spine apparently), but always keep your weight off the bars and onto feet/ass/thights gripping tank - this allows the suspension to do its job as its not restricted by your grip.

Few quick tips for cornering (get twist of the wrist once you've got a bit more experience and start reading through it, theres a bunch more on this site as well in articles and in search) - look through the corner, look where you are going always, never right in front of you. Concentrate on looking at the exit of the corner, keeping your body relaxed - you will subconsciously corner the bike properly, just keep concentrating on the corner - and when you have a scare KEEP looking towards the exit, never look at the obstacle you think you're about to run into otherwise you might. This takes practice.

Most important thing I can tell you is that when you do have the 'oh shit too fast into this corner' feeling, don't let yourself panic, have faith in the bike and COMMIT to the corner, keep looking where you are going, do not throttle off, perhaps lean your body a bit more into the corner and you can push the inside bar to help steer the bike tighter. Some of this is a bit much to take in when you're just learning. Again, this takes practice.

Take the basics of position, being relaxed, looking through corner - think about this whilst riding. Then you'll be well positioned to go over things like throttle control, leaning off, countersteering, etc.

10. thanks mate, really appreciate your help! Ill keep practicing

11. I like to be able to get my fist (longways) between the tank and the old fella. gives a bit of leeway when braking and if I move my weight around it seems about the right distance.

On the second point you may be turning in too early or too slowly, which happens if you don't use reference points. (turn in point, apex, exit) The experts might tell you how to remedy this. I go to training courses and I really recommend this if you are unsure.

lee parks book
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/0760314039/?tag=netrider-20
    is good when you are starting out. seen it at borders.

12. My advice...listen to phizog.

But not just intellectually. When he says COMMIT to a corner, he means COMMIT to a corner. When you have the inevitable freak out moment and you think you aren't gunna make it, grit your teeth, look towards the corner and lean.

It wasn't until I did a track day that I realised just how stupidly far from the bikes abilities I was on the road. I knew it intellectually, but not through experience. If you go in too hot, focus singularly on making the corner. You'll be surprised. Your hesitation is your own worst enemy. Even when you know this intellectually, you will still probably freak out a few times, so just remember to ride within your abilities as they grow and get used to looking thrrroouuuggh the corner. Where will you clip the apex, where will you exit, where is the next corner? Simply getting used to cornering through experience helps slow things down...at first things seem to happen really quickly until you get used to it and you realise you have hhheeeeaaapppss more time.

Oh also, massive noob mistake that actually happens all the way through to being an almost intermediate rider -> you get scared of running wide, so you make sure you tip in early to avoid missing the corner. Unfortunately this means you hit the apex when you are facing towards the edge of the road. Tipping in LATE means you hit the apex facing nicely out of the corner. I used to audibly say to myself "wait...wait...wait....TIP IN" when I was teaching myself to stop turning too early. For me that was the biggest hurdle.

You have to allow time for your brain to get used to all of the info that is bombarding it before you will get used to making sane decisions when cornering and be truly confident when you tip in to avoid the mid corner "Uh Oh"s. But it will happen.

Good luck, these guys will give you good tips.

13. I can not tell you enough how much i value all your comments. Its great to be in a community with a bunch of guys who genuinally are so in to bikes and even more so willing to pass on there knowledge. THANKS!

I just got back from a solid 1hr and a half ride and was practicing specifically what phizog was saying with the makeing sure my elbows are bent and sitting a little further back on the seat gripping the tank with my thighs.

I was finding it hard to keep my elbows bent while i was sitting a little further back on the seat, also it was a little harder shifting up the gears in this position, i did try keeping more weight on the pegs when i was getting in to it and i definetly was a lot more commited in the corners and was concentrating on looking through the corners.

I was coming out of my last two long sweeping corners on my way home and it almost felt like the tail slid a bit, though im pretty sure it wasnt that. It was fairly windy when i was travelling so im ondering if that has anything to do with it.

First thing i did when i got in the garage was look at my rear tyre pressure. Since i got the bike on wednesday and it didnt come with any books cause it is an RVF400 import, im not sure what it should be.

But, Thanks for the info, keep it coming. Im going to look at those books you guys have mentioned.

IM LOVING THIS!

Thanks!

14. well u know where we are every wed for any help champ :)

15. nah the best place is in the garage in front of a camera. :cool:

16. lol... trust me.. it wont

and if it ever does.. learn to ride it on the back wheel ;)

17. I'll be doing more of this once i can afford comprehensive. :LOL:

I always seem to shart myself and hit the back brake when i wheelie off the power on the storm. I'm a pussy i know but i just hate the idea of totalling my bike from something so mundane :LOL:

I found it easier to flare the clutch but SR's still kick in before i hit the balance point so I still can't call myself a real biker. :oops: :LOL:

18. whats SR's?

19. Survival Reactions - see Twist of the Wrist recommendation above. Google might even find you a free downloadable copy. :wink:

20. U know when something bad happens and your muscles go tight and heart rate goes a million miles an hour?

Yup that's what they are. :LOL:

and +1 to what Snow dog said