Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Where to learn how to ride in Brisbane?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by CrEsT, Aug 23, 2010.

1. Hello folks,

I recently moved to Brisbane from overseas and I'm looking to learn how to ride. I do have a full motorcycle license from my home country so I can ride any bike here and I'm not looking to get the Australian at the moment.

Thing is, I don't know how to ride! Yes... they are not very strict when it comes to licenses back home hehe. I've been riding a scooter for a few months though, but looking to upgrade to a new Yamaha YZF-R125 ASAP.

Any other option besides HART? At almost $400 I think it's a bit overpriced.

Thanks for your help
  2. I went through Morgan and Wacker at Mitchelton shopping centre. Can highly recommend them.
  3. pro honda rocklea, cost me 280 for the day
  4. +1. I am going to go back to morgan and wacker to do my open licence. Also going to do advanced and tecniques course with them sometime in the near future.
  5. My wife and I did the course at HARTS - and failed first time around. We were not very happy, it was like boot camp with lots of shouting. I should add that we probably would have failed regardless. But it was not a good experience and very nearly put us off getting a licence at all. Of the 6 people on that course I know atleast 4 of us were failed before even going on the road ride. Those are not particularly good odds for a course hat's meant to be suitable for attendees with little or no experience. They weren't particularly helpful with regard to trying to re-organise to do the training again. We did learn a lot though.

We eventually went through Ridesmart and recommend them 100%. We did the one day course rather than the total beginner two day course (As mentioned we did come out fo the Harts course with new skills). Warren is very relaxed in his teaching and testing and we felt very comfortable. We'll be going back to him for our open licence Q-ride too.
  6. I went through HART for another course a year or so ago. I will not go into details here but can say I will never go back to them again. It was not a good experience.
  7. +1 for warren. great instructor and top bloke
  8. There are a few places about. I went with Stay Upright. They have been around the longest, and are very professional.

The other thing is, you might not need to do the full course if you have a fair understanding of riding. The first day is really basic stuff, like clutch control, etc. So your money might be better off spent doing the 1 day course, get your licence, then 3 months later go do a level 1 advanced course.

You know how good you are at riding, so you should be able to make the call.
  9. When i did my 2 day course (for P's) at HART, one lady fell off her motorbike 4 times over the 2 days and still passed...... I left the course thinking "well, this course is clearly unfailable.." :S
  10. Hmm I found HART to be quite a good experience when I did the 2-day RE course. My classmate and I were both first timers and we passed but the instructor didn't go easy on us. All up I thought it was good value going from no experience to competent enough on the road, however I know I got lucky with the small class size.

More on topic though, I don't think you can do much better than $400 for a beginners QRide course? Most I saw were up to 800 or so, but I'm not sure about lessons that don't include the assessment if you are not interested in that part.
  11. i did q ride at rocklea, and it was a good grounding, think it was under 300.

Also some motorbike licences are transferable arent they?
  12. Rocklea was fine for me.

Though I would now recommend 1 on 1 at http://www.dartsdriverandridertraining.com.au/ if you can make the trip.
    Its only slightly more expensive than the group sessions, but you learn so much more, so much quicker. It wont take long if you've already been on the scooter too.
  13. I contacted all the suggestions and M&W called me immediately to explain the best course for me.

I'll go with them and will take a 1 on 1 Refresher course, starting with 6 hours and see how I do.

Thanks everyone for your help!