Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

where to get modified cables?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by ltketch, Mar 26, 2008.

1. I recently added narrower and lower handlebars to my bike and now I need shorter clutch, throttle and brake cables ( and yes fyi the front brake is cable operated!) Where in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne would I go to get such items? Are there businesses who make up such things like shorter than normal cables?

Thanks in advance
    Andrew

2. Not sure that there is anyone in melly.

ConWire in Sydney have been doing it for 50 years or more.

http://www.conwire.com.au/index.html

Very experienced, I think they could probably help over the phone to take an order.

Cheers

Trevor G

3. There is a place in ringwood that might be able to do it, at the top of heatherdale road on maroondah hwy there are some shops, one of them is a automotive speedometer shop, they might be able to help with cable modifications or point you in the right direction, sorry i cant remember the name of the shop.

Otherwise try asking in some of the dirt bike shops as they may know where you can get DIY cable making tools or someone who can make them up for you, someone like scotty's dirt bike spares in Ringwood may know.

4. I can vouch for Consolidated Wire as excellent and the prices are reasonable. You could consider taking your cables to a friendly wrecker and simply comparing them to what's there. Some bike shops (MCA in Sydney) used to keep a range of aftermarket cables but this is very rare now.

5. I have a cable repair kit. You could just cut the cable and solder/screw on a new end.