Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

where to get a jack?

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by bond711, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Hey guys,

About to tear down my klr to change wheels and lube swingarm bearings next week, and am in need of some sort of jack.

I'm hoping to get one for under $200, however most of the small little foot stands I see are rated at under 150kg (pretty sure the klr weighs a tad over 200kg)

Can anyone advise where / what I should get?

(I'm potentially toying with the idea of getting one of those trolley jacks and welding a plate to the top, maybe taking the wheels off, and welding a bar out for tie-downs)

2. A 200kg bike will only weigh ~100kg at either end, so a 150kg paddock stand is ample.

3. You can get a foot operated hydraulic stand, with provisions for anchoring to the foot pegs. That weight will be fine, and they go right up to working height. Can't think of a brand name right now, but a google should start popping some up or your local bike shop would know.

4. hmm,

I was hoping to get a decent jack that I could leave the bike on with both wheels off for a few days,

modified cheap trolley jack is still looking good

5. ok,

spoke to my old man, and he has put forth the ideas of either using an engine crane / chain block to lift the bike, rather than precariously balancing the bike on a trolley jack,

I'm at least intrigued by the chain block, and may look at methods of hooking the chains to the bottom of the bike.