Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Where to buy screws?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Schwer, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Hi, I'm getting ready to clean the carbs on my ZZR - the ninja 250 wiki recommends that I replace the screws with allen key screws that are 0.7 pitch, with 14mm length, but I don't know where to find them. I looked at Bunnings, but it's mostly wood screws and so forth, not the ones that I need.

Does anyone know where I could get these?

2. Try these guys

More screws than y'can use, including stainless. Very fast mail order too.

Worth trying for wheel bearings and such as well.
  3. Thanks a lot, they appear to be the only place in Australia that actually has what I need - even then it's not quite right :(.

Waiting 5 days sure sucks though - every hardware shop seems entirely focussed on home renovations - you can get anything you want if you want to do something to your house, but nothing if you want to do it to your bike or car. I was hoping I could just walk into a shop and buy these, oh well :(.
  4. Go to Bomond Trading in Brookvale, you will be in heaven

49 Orchard Rd
    Brookvale, NSW 2100
    (02) 9939 1344

Depending if you're further North they've got a dedicated Stainless place in Mona Vale also on Barrenjoey Road.

They're even open Saturday mornings at both stores. Remember Stainless is expensive, especially 316 Marine grade.

Been going to these guys for years and they've always been helpful

You don't mention the thread size, from a standard tap and die set I have here it's probably 4mm 0.7mm pitch and 14mm length, which is usually the thread length. Cap head allen key is what you likely need.

BTW it's a good idea to put something on the screws so they don't gall the aluminium. I had a waterpump bolt gall on a car and shear off and stick in the block. 1 single Bolt disabled the car entirely till I could get it out. Bugger of a job!!
  5. Where to buy screws?

Hmmm. A jocular response comes to mind.
  6. Grey Street? :LOL:
  7. You are pretty well spot on about hardware stores, they are mainly set up for the home handyman. Perhaps try looking up Engineering suppliers in the Yellowpages for that type of fastener.
  8. Wow, you're my hero. Thanks, I'll check them out :D

I can think of one to that, involving certain immediate family members :p
  9. Definitely try the yellow pages next time for engineering suppliers or even bolt suppliers.

Try a company called Blackwoods, they are a national company.
  10. I think it also recommends you use the right size screw driver when you are pulling the original screws off and 99% of people don't seem to listen. The screw heads are made of butter (maybe something softer?) so if the screwdriver is slightly too big or too small it tears the head to shreds.
    Just a friendly heads up.
  11. Blackwoods have a store literally just around the corner from Bomond but they're a sattelite store. Great for unusual engineering stuff, unusual or really small taps & dies. But not so much stock on hand and not really pointed towards the hardware side of things.

Bomond used to be just 2 guys in something the size of a 2 car garage back when I had my IT 465 over 20 years ago. Replaced all of the bolts with Stainless back then.

They give you good service even if you only need 10 bolts or 10 boxes of bolts. Heaps of guys go in there with assortments needing one of each, it's never a problem. I've done it heaps of times myself. They're engineering suppliers with an emphasis on the hardware end.

Things like spring clips, circlips, e-clips, split pins, spring pins, o-rings, extension and compression springs. There's heaps of things that you get stiffed for at the bike shops that you can get from here. I learnt the hard way, paying $5 each for springs to hold my expansion chamber on, then. rode round the corner to these guys to find the same things for 50 cents.

I'm not affiliated at all, it's just nice to save time and money when you need parts, especially the little expensive ones that are never in stock at the dealers.

As Bonkers said, the correct screwdriver is always a good start and a good set isn't expensive. It's always good to also have an impact driver and set of tips on hand, most times a mild tap gets screws going and leaves the heads perfectly intact.
  12. Another 10 out of 10 for Bomond - awesome guys and many visits there over the years. The level of stock is amazing

Minimum $2 spend, so just get a few extra's and put 'em in a "Bolt Jar" - handy to have spares
  13. Yeah, I wish I had the right screwdriver, but apparently you need some exotic Japanese thing that's hard and expensive to find, so I'm planning to hit it with an impact driver and/or and replace the screws afterwards.
  14. On a carby :shock:

15. From memory its a size 2 phillips (star) head screw driver which should be available at any hardware-ish shop (even BigW, supercheap).

The one I bought was in a pack of 12 from the $2 shop (though the pack cost 4 bucks) but that was a few years ago. If you can't read size 2 on the pack ask for assistance.
  16. Get an impact driver whatever you do, you don't have to use it with a hammer to get a result, sometimes just the larger diameter and bigger grip surface gives enough torque and pushing in and using it's own twisting mechanism will pop stuff free. Usually they come with 4 to 6 tips, grab a pack of a dozen or more good quality tips and you're set for lots of situations.

Cutting a slot with a dremel should be sufficient to get enough grip and wide slotted bits will have more torque on the head. Used in an impact driver even by hand you'll minimise the risk of the bit jumping out and ruining the slot you've cut.

If you're screw head is totally gone you can get a fresh drill with the same diameter and drill the head off.

Risk is that it's still stuck in and you don't have anything to grip to remove it. It's unusual for screws into aluminum. If it's for the float bowl you'll get the bowl off and have enough to grip with vice grips anyway.

Bolts are another matter and need caution sometimes but less likely with bikes than cars.

Good to see another Bomond fan chiming in - gotta love 'em
  17. We get all our bikes bolts and screws from Economy Bolt Company :)
  18. I rode over to Bomond today and they had close enough to what I needed, thanks everyone :)

19. Sumfink to do with grey st perhaps??
  20. :lastweek: