Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Where to buy project bike?

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by Fa1c0n, Oct 13, 2013.

1. So I was wondering where people go to buy project bikes?
    Bike sales seem to only list expensive, working bikes.
    I am looking for a bike that perhaps "starts" but may need some love.
    Something less than 1k....

Where do people find project bikes, am I looking in the wrong place? What are your suggestions to find a less than 1k bike for project work.

(In other words a bike to put under a sheet in my garage. :p )
  2. eBay, gumtree
  3. Any tips on what I should/shouldn't be looking for when buying my first project bike?
  4. Define noob? It's not running and needs a head off repair. The rest of it looks pretty trashed and the XS750 was dull anyway. I wouldn't touch it.

What to look for depends on what sort of project you want, but in general I'd look for something running, reasonably common (for spares availablity) and exciting enough to keep you interested.
  5. That is a good tip, see I'm learning already!

I am not a mechanic, I do not have mechanical training, I have however - worked with bikes and cars for fun before but have never done any work INSIDE the engine itself. (Never taken a head off)

I am looking for something VERY cheap, so if I fcuk it up its a throw away anyway.
    I am looking for something challenging, but achievable.

6. Other issue is what do you want to do with it in the end? Cheapest bikes are going to be potentially insurance write offs and they may be a lot harder to road register later on so you need to think a little bit ahead as to what you want to do.

Cheers Spocky
  7. I haven't thought that far ahead. Just fix it up, maybe sell it or give it away.
    I was looking for non-written off bikes.

8. Do you want to learn to do mechanical stuff and get inside the engine or are you content to outsource that work?
  9. old dirt bikes can be picked up for next to nothing....

I bought a 1991 dt200r to play around with, and maybe strip back to make into a motard...

was about 500 running off ebay... had some probs with the carb (plus finding time to go to the old boys and work on it) but getting there

road bikes seem to be a lil more exy
  10. I would like to expand my mechanical knowledge, which is currently sitting at basic service level - Oil change and oil filter change.
    But I am happy to take baby steps, advice?
  11. Mmmm, I was hoping for a Road bike, but maybe Ill start with a dirty.
  12. For the dollars you have, I'd be open minded. Old chook chasers make good projects as they're dirt cheap and usually air cooled single cylinders. You will find reasonable roadbikes for under a thousand, though.

You haven't said what type of project you're after. I assume from the XS you were looking at that you're chaisng 70s/80s roadbikes. Would you be happy with a little 250, or are you looking for something bigger?

Bikes in this price range will have something wrong with them - something that makes them undesirable. It may be mechanical (e.g. the XS750), it may be the sheer number of them available (small dirt bikes, commuter bikes) or it may be the model itself (the XS again :). You'll have to decide what you can work with. Newer bikes may also be insurance write offs, which I'd avoid if you can - it's a pain.

I'd stick with running bikes. There's plenty to do without having to break open an engine, e.g:
    - replacing bearings: head stem, wheels, swingarm etc
    - rebuilding brake calipers and/or master cylinders
    - fiddling with carbs
    - sorting out electrics

As I mentioned above, the excitement factor is important. So is setting an achieveable goal, based on the time you have available. Project bikes that people have dismantled then lost interest in turn up on ebay all the time.

13. Great tips!
    Honestly - style/type of bike doesn't phase me, but perhaps a cafe racer would be fun.
    Either that or a 250cc dirty that I can fix up and give to my Little brother in law...
  14. Another place to look (and it is coming up soon) is the Bendigo swap meet in November. Plenty of bikes in all sorts of condition, and some reasonable bargains to be had.
  15. Yes, start with a running bike. That way you know all the bits are there and when it stops working you know it was something you did that broke it.
  16. Or go to an insurance auction and get the same stuff without his premium. You find roadworthy bikes through private sales for the same money that he puts on insurance writeoffs. All over $1k, though.

One other thing - hit up friends, family, workmates etc and let them know you're looking for a project. There's a good chance someone will have something in thier garage, or will know someone who has.
  17. Mmmm good tips...

How does one find insurance auctions?
  18. Google Manheim or Fowles auctions. They're not as cheap as they once were though, and the bikes sold are insurance write offs.

Check your state requirements for re-registration/VIV checks if you're interested, but I believe Victoria makes it very difficult.