Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Where to buy leads for a zxr250?

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' at netrider.net.au started by Mischa, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and to bikes in general. I've inherited a '93 kawa zxr250 from a friend which has been broken down for 4.5 years. So far i've cleaned the tank, fresh fuel, rebuild the carbs and replaced the CDI unit.

Theres still no spark so next on the list is to replace the plugs and leads, but I can't seem to find anywhere that sells leads to fit? Is there some place i can buy them, or will i have to have a set made specifically?

Also, any recommendations on who in sydney should i take the bike to if i get fed up?

Here's a pic of the poor old thing in the condition i picked it up
    [​IMG]

Thanks!

2. Best place I've found for parts for rare JDM market bikes is this place in Japan:
    http://japan.webike.net/

Lot easier to order now that they have a website in English, or at least something vaguely approaching English. Only thing they seem to have in the way of plug leads for a ZXR is this:
    http://japan.webike.net/products/242204.html
    (Possibly cheaper to just get something made up here).

3. ahhh the c model...the older sibling - england has buttloads of zxr's so england base sites are a good place to start - took me a week of waiting to get my zxr speedo cable sent over which isn't too bad all things considered.

also...your a boy...but have a girls name -so are you hot?!

4. Re: Can't get f&*kin ZXR250 to start
    So picked bike up today. Battery I got new on Saturday wasn't holding cranking amps so got another new one for them to use. Biketeck started at the battery and went through all the wiring, disconnecting and reconnecting everything, cleaning the connectors as they went. Apparently a few connections had corrosion on them (especially at starter switch). After doing all this the bike started. So basically a combination of a stuffed battery (due to shorting or just bad luck) and bad connections. They only charged me 2 hours labour, which included reassembly of airbox and fuel tank I'd taken off, so I was happy.

Rode back home (first ride licenced) and didn't miss a beat. Thanks heaps for everyone's input. Now keen to get bike out for a decent ride and have some fun.

this was from another thread on NR about a zxr that wouldn't start ...especially considering your bike had been sitting untouched for so long perhaps its something you should look into

5. Sorry to disappoint, Mischa is just a nickname (my real name is michael). Must be pretty starved of ladies in the motorcycle world eh :p

Yeah this is something i've had in the back of my mind for a while now. But going through wiring really is the crappiest job, so i've been trying everything else first...

Cheers for the advice!

6. Victoria wreckers? They have a couple of ZXR's in stock

7. i'm engaged but surely do enjoy eye candy =D

and perhaps your just making more work for yourself tackling everything else first and trying to source parts (which for grey import bikes are a biatch...recently a owner of the zxr250A i'm still waiting for front wheel spacers n brakepads to come in)

it might be a biatch but it's something you can do without the need for parts in regards to checking all the connections - should give you a good understanding of the condition of the bike and if any wires are on there way out and will need replacing soon (last thing you want is to find it's something as simple as needing leads then having a wire short out on you when you fire it up)

8. so what if she used to be a boy.
    just post that booty for crisis allready.

• Like Like x 1
  9. ^ Lol shit just got weird

But yeah i suppose you're right about the wiring, i had a quick look this arvo and already found one earth wire dangling loose. I'll have a proper look at it this weekend and see if i can find anything else.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Make your own.

Take the old cables with you to car parts and get any set with suitable boots on plug end. Coil end simply screws into the coil. If you can't find any, reuse the old plug boots. I've also seen a "make your own" set in various catalogues, like MSD, Accell and Mallory. There are 2 leads manufacturers here in Sydney that can also make you a set to suit - Eagle and Top Gun. Google it and ask them.

11. Car ignition leads are not the same as bike ignition leads. Bikes typically use a stainless steel wire with a resistor at the end, cars use carbon as both a conductor which also acts as a resistor (and have to be a specific length).

Eagle and Top Gun only make leads for cars, and they're not going to last long with a p-4 250 spending most of its time above 10,000rpm (that's if the bike even runs with all the extra resistance you're potentially adding to the ignition system).

12. Your post reflects the basic lack of knowledge about how the modern internal combustion engine ignition works and how all the parts fit together and why they are there.

I give up.

13. Are you talking modern car engines, or modern bike engines? As I suspect from your post you're failing to understand some very important differences between the two (I'd also argue a 20 year old Yamaha isn't exactly modern).

For anyone tempted to fit car leads to a bike, I suggest reading this first:
    http://www.motorcycleproject.com/motorcycle/text/plugwiretech.html