Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Where to begin?

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by Sam 4, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Dear Netrider folks.
    I'm Sam, from Melbourne, but currently writing from an internet cafe in Thailand. My learner's permit expired a couple of years ago, I've never owned a bike. But every time I go traveling, I'll invariably end up spending half my time flying around on a bike and I think it's high time I bit the bullet and bought one to explore Victoria on.
    My questions are .. how long will I have to wait to get my dream LAMS bike (the BMW GS650 - I want something made for adventures) or should I pick up a VTR250 for a few months and get used to the roads on a smaller bike?
    Secondly, where should I purchase? I like the idea of establishing a long relationship with a dealer whose advice I can trust. When it comes to purchasing the whole protective kit and kaboodle, in addition to the bike, I want to feel confident that the dealer is selling me the safest helmet on the rack, not the one of which he's got surplus stock.
    Any advice you can give me would be much appreciated. I've put this off for years, and I'm sure that this resource will make the jump a far better educated one.

2. Hi Sam, welcome to NR.

LAMS is supposedly going to be introduced in Vic mid 2008, which means you should be able to ride a GS650 as it should be on the list.

If you can't wait that long, you could do a lot worse than a VTR.

As far as where to buy just have a look around, you will get a feel for the dealers that are trying to stooge you or the genuine ones who really want to help you out.

It's a good idea to buy your gear at the same time as the bike (If buying from a dealer) as they can usually offer a decent discount.

Enjoy the rest of your holiday.
  3. Welcome, Sam, don't lose the impetus this time, carry through and get yourself on two wheels.
  4. Hi Sam! How is Thailand going? How much longer are you there for? Are you travelling anywhere else, and have you already been somewhere else?

My step-grandmother is Thai, and I fell in love with the culture, the food, and the people, but I have yet to go.

As for getting a motorbike - Do it :) Just for yourself. You'll be kicking yourself if you don't.

I have found that when I go shopping, ANYWHERE, apart from groceries, obviously - that if you do not get a person approaching you within the first minute or two, or at least a smile / nod / appreciation that you're there, I now walk out. The people that do not approach me are basically just there for the money or they really don't care about good customer service. And when it comes into terms of a particular item, and you're asking questions about helmuts etc, remember to look out for someone who keeps talking about prices. If they keep saying "well think about it in the long run, it's only $6000 but it'll protect your head". Genuine people who don't care much about the price of the sale, but about the quality of the product that you'll be getting talk more in terms of different features and aspects of the product. So just be cautious, and test them a little bit.

Also, if you do happen to wish to buy a product from one of the people that just wants to make the sale, doesn't care about quality for you, I've found that you can bargain with them more easily. So if you buy a helmut, jacket, boots and gloves for instance, and the total price all up is say... $945, offer him $880 cash. It's always worked for me in the past. Because these people only after money know that they are generally ripping people off, and especially if you go in in the afternoon when no one is around, they've already made their quota for the day, and don't mind "losing" $65 or whatever.

So really, both places / types of people have their good and bad points.

And how do I know this? I can read most people like a book.

But hey, almost forgot to mention, WELCOME TO NR! Enjoy it.
  5. Welcome to NR..

Get yourself back in to riding mate.. :cool:
  6. Cheers

Thanks, folks..
    Leaving to come back to Melbourne on Monday morning and I think the first thing I'll do is get my learner's permit renewed. Very good to have some encouragement, and also good to notice (on the front page of the site) that the number of bikes in Australia is up over the 1/2 million mark.
    I'll take your advice and trust my instincts with the dealers. I think the CBD will be the first port of call (I work and live nearby) so it makes some sense. I've been advised, very strongly, to steer clear of Sumoto. Perhaps if someone can recommend a dealership/specific dealer whose advice can be trusted?
    I don't think the impetus will be lost this time around, and thanks for the support. I look forward to my first ride day which, I think, may not be that far off.
    Quick question; anything I should look for in a VTR? ie. was there a good/bad year in manufacturing? Anyone know which model has a tacho as well as speedometer? I've seen them about, but have never known if it's an extra from the factory, or if they came standard on some models.
    Thanks again,
  7. Welcome Sam....... :)